Network Engineering Manager
Manager Network Engineering
Responsible for the global enterprise LAN/WAN network and network security architectures and technologies, ensuring a cost-effective and efficient infrastructure that supports the applications and processes essential to business units and departmental operations.
Manage a team of highly skilled network engineers and maintain close relationships with other IT departments in providing engineering support. In conjunction with the Network Operations group, troubleshoot and resolve network related problems in order to minimize client productivity loss caused by technical outages.
Ensure compliance with budget, productivity, and quality objectives within the Network Engineering organization. Must have a thorough knowledge of networking components, configurations, and emerging technologies, including their interrelationship with existing network infrastructure. Strong verbal and written communication and planning skills are required as well as a demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technology and solve complex problems.
· Manage the daily activities of the network engineering team in core network infrastructure planning and design to ensure consistent delivery of results based on overall organizational objectives
· Provide leadership and work guidance as well as problem resolution of complex problems to less experienced personnel
· Evaluate new and evolving technology, which enhance process efficiency, reduce cost and/or enhance customer and/or user satisfaction, for applicability and impact on operational goals
· Recommend data, voice, or video network investment decisions to management based on results of independent assessment of current and future network performance, stability, and network management issues
· Perform cost analyses and vendor comparisons to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations; measure feasibility of various approaches, make recommendations as appropriate
· Maintain technical knowledge and stay abreast of technical advancements in primary functional areas of responsibility
· Assess and manage training needs of team members to assist in their professional development
· Coach and mentor talented workforce to improve performance and foster career growth
Minimum of 8 years in the Network and Security Technology fields with specific experience in designing and delivering LAN, WAN, MAN and Data Center/Cloud networking solutions and in the management or supervision of Network Engineering teams. In depth knowledge of TCP/IP, Routing, Switching, VPN, Load Balancing and Firewalls as well as security best practices. Technical writing and analytical experience in debugging and diagnosing complex network issues and reporting on prognosis and or break/fix specifics. Extensive experience with Cisco routers, switches, firewalls, and SolarWinds Orion.
Strong Leadership, management skills and work ethic. Self-starting with the ability to learn on the fly and respond to network/security issues with a high sense of urgency and ownership while understanding how they affect the bigger picture. Strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to translate complex technological issues across skill sets and act as a liaison between teams. Ability to define measurable goals for self and team and achieve these goals on a quarterly and annual basis. Proven ability to mentor junior staff and retain highly specialized talent within the Network Engineering team.
· Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred
· Minimum of 8 years experience in a related discipline
· 4 + years related managerial experience
· Broad knowledge of IP network technologies
· Knowledge and working experience in layer 3 routing protocols - RIP/ EIGRP/ OSPF and BGP
· Demonstrated competency in developing efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems
· Highly desirable Cisco certifications for this position include the following:
- Cisco Certified Architect
- Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE)
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
o CCIE Routing & Switching
o CCIE Security
o CCIE Voice
o CCIE Wireless
· Other Cisco certifications for this position may include the following:
- Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP)
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional (CCIP)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- CCNP Voice
- CCNP Wireless
- Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP)