Business Intelligence Engineer (closed)
“Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company”
Amazon.com, a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, Washington, is the global leader in e-commerce. Since Jeff Bezos started Amazon.com in 1995, we have significantly expanded our product offerings, international sites, and worldwide network of fulfillment and customer service centers. Today, Amazon.com offers everything from books and electronics to tennis rackets and diamond jewelry. We operate sites in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, Canada, Italy, and China (Joyo.com) and maintain over 50 fulfillment centers around the world which encompass more than 26 million square feet.
This evolution of Amazon.com from Web site to e-commerce partner to development platform is driven by the spirit of innovation that is part of the company's DNA. E-commerce is still in its infancy. In the years to come, you'll see Amazon.com create new technologies, expand into more geographies and continue to improve the lives of shoppers and sellers around the world.
Position: Business Intelligence Engineer
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Amazon is seeking an outstanding Business Intelligence Engineer to join Amazon's Customer Support Business Intelligence (BI) team to build the next generation BI platform and to drive the adoption of new BI technologies. Amazon CS BI team is committed to build the next generation BI platform and solutions to support the rapidly growing and dynamic business, and use it to deliver the BI applications which will have an immediate influence on day-to-day decision making at Amazon.
The Amazon Customer Support Platform processes thousands of transactions every day across multiple countries and languages. The Amazon CS BI team stands squarely in the intersection of these systems, helping Amazon and its partners understand what the business did yesterday and influencing where it is going tomorrow. It delivers business intelligence to over hundreds of diverse community of internal customers from one of the world’s largest and most complex data sets. Amazon has culture of data-driven decision-making, and demands business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable. Amazon CS BI is a fast paced environment where every day brings new challenges and new opportunities. As a BI Engineer, you will be developing and supporting a BI platform to address some of the unique challenges in this space. You will be responsible for designing and implementing a solution using third-party and in-house technologies which will handle the growing business needs.
This role can be based at any of our EU Customer Service Sites depending on the successful candidate.
- Design, implement, and support a platform providing secured access to large datasets.
- Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete BI solutions.
- Model data and metadata to support ad-hoc and pre-built reporting.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
- Tune application and query performance using Unix profiling tools and SQL.
- Analyze and solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Use data mining, model building, and other analytical techniques to develop and maintain customer segmentation and predictive models to drive the business.
- Respond to high priority requests from senior business leaders.
- Learn and understand a broad range of Amazon’s data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use.
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for secondary datasets
The ideal candidate would have outstanding business acumen, a restlessness to answer “why?” questions, excellent analytical abilities, strong technical skills, superior written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to influence and lead cross-functional teams. S/he would be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big (while paying careful attention to detail), and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Work closely with Customer Support teams and the broader BI community.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in business intelligence role, including data warehousing and business intelligence tools, techniques and technology, or experience in analytics, business analysis or comparable consumer analytics solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Finance, Statistics or related discipline.
- Good knowledge of SQL, Linux, Oracle and OLAP.
- Knowledge of data warehousing concepts.
- Knowledge and direct experience using business intelligence reporting tools. (OBIEE, Business Objects, Cognos, Tableau, MicroStrategy, SSAS Cubes, etc.)
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
To apply for this position, please go to - https://uk-amazon.icims.com/jobs/213948/job?in_iframe=1