Sr. Systems Administrator - Unix/Linux
This job involves supporting the full range of activities necessary to deliver services on an end-to-end basis, which will include working with vendors to develop and implement new systems and network designs, deployment of new systems and software, and providing holistic 24x7x365 support to our customers and business partners.
- Function as a key member of the team responsible for the day-to-day, 24x7x365 on-call engineering, system administration, and operation of Comcast’sVOD (Video on Demand) video delivery systems.
- Will be assigned projects that they would lead on their own and also guide the junior members of the team.
- Provide review and input into the design of new technical features and architectural changes to the VOD systems.
- Perform Solaris and Linux operating system installation, upgrades, patching, tuning, and troubleshooting.
- Perform application software installation, upgrades, and troubleshooting, including Oracle, Golden Gate, Apache,Tomcatetc.
- Help develop and implement a capacity model, total cost of ownership model and augmentation plan for the platform.
- Participate in planning, testing and execution of system and application level upgrades.
- Perform troubleshooting and problem resolution activities with other support teams (e.g. network support, NOC, vendors). Produce Root Cause Analysis findings that focus on recommendations to learn from and avoid problem recurrence.
- Maintain productive relationships with peer organizations and vendors.
- Participation in an on-call rotation for after-hours coverage as needed.
- Occasional travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 7 years of Unix systems administration, performance tuning, and troubleshooting experience in a large-scale (100+ servers), customer-facing, high availability environment.
- At least 4 years in-depth experience with IP networking (TCP/IP packet analysis, DNS, DHCP, NAT, SNMP etc.)
- Administration, maintenance, support and scaling of Application Servers (Tomcat, Weblogic JBoss, etc.)
- Administration, maintenance, support and enhance configurations tools (Puppet, Bcfg2, etc.)
- Administration, maintenance, support and scaling of storage arrays EMC Clarion or similar
- Creation of scripts to automate tasks and perform basic data analysis
- Experience managing servers remotely in a distributed environment.
- Design and implementation of monitoring and notification approaches which maximize system stability, function and performance.
- Demonstrated ability to stay organized while multi-tasking between several projects, and to adapt to change.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with professional work ethic and positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to produce results with a minimum of day-to-day direction.
- Demonstrated interest in continuing to grow professionally and learn new things.
- Load Balancer configuration, function, setup and support..
- Tools development in Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, or similar languages.
- Experience operating and troubleshooting web application servers. XML experience is a plus.
- Experience with using, administering Hadoop and analyzing data with Hive
- Experience with managing and querying Riak and MapReduce.