Lead PHP Software Engineer (closed)
Lead PHP Software Engineer – New York
The Lead PHP Software Engineer will be responsible for building new products and features for Rakuten LinkShare's industry-recognized affiliate networking and online marketing platform. Other responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Represent the engineering team in discussions with project management, business teams, and organizational leadership.
- Partner with requirement specialists and QA personnel to ensure implementation is to specification and meets the needs of the business.
- Work with a diverse team of highly motivated software developers of varying skill sets, backgrounds and geographical locations.
- Conduct and participate in code review sessions.
- Participation in software development industry trade conferences, seminars and/or training.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related technical discipline
- Good experience in high-traffic internet-facing environment; solid experience engineering robust web-based prototypes and production systems that can support millions of active users.
- Current or former role acting as the development owner of an application or user interface. Must be comfortable making technical decisions around architecture or design patterns.
- Background in engineering end-to-end solutions that utilize distributed systems and network system architecture to accomodate 24/7 operation.
- Strong background in OOP with PHP5+
- Experience working with high-volume Oracle or other RDBMS.
- Ability to optimize DML and PL/SQL for scalability.
- Solid experience with MVC separation (PHP Symfony framework experience is a big plus!)
- Well-versed in unit test creation and working with continuous integration environments such as Jenkins and Cruise Control.
- Experience working in agile environment (Scrum, Lean or XP).
- Experience with pair-programming and test-driven development.
Desired Skills/Experience (a "plus", but not required):
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, or related technical discipline
- Experience working with PHP Symfony framework
- Project management experience, or formal PM training
- Experience leading and mentoring junior-level staff; offshore talent management
As a Lead, the ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Great verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Interest and willingness to participate in software development industry trade conferences, seminars and/or training.
- Experience, knowledge and discipline in standard SDLC practices including translation of business requirements into a system design document, source code version control (CVS, git, etc.), and maintenance (to name a few).
- Previous experience conducting and participating in code review sessions.