Senior Underwriter: Design Professional and Environmental (closed)
We are looking to hire a Senior Underwriter in our Design Professional and Environmental division. This position will sit in either Midtown Manhattan or Berkeley Heights, NJ, and this is contingent on candidate preference.
AXIS Capital is the Bermuda-based holding company of the AXIS group of companies. AXIS Capital provides specialty insurance and reinsurance on a worldwide basis through operating subsidiaries and branch networks based in Bermuda, the United States, Europe, Singapore, Canada and Australia, as well as a Representative Office in Brazil.
Our company is rapidly growing, and it is an exciting time to join!
- Participate in prospecting through the identification of new business targets and opportunities, work closely with producer/agent to ensure department receives opportunity to offer proposal. Make strategy recommendations to supervisor.
- Review and evaluate new and renewal business based upon company underwriting guidelines, competition and geographic focus. Develop strategy and make recommendations.
- Review coverage requests provided by agent and determine department’s position relating to such requests within individual authority granted. Present those outside authority to immediate supervisor for approval or guidance.
- Analyze and underwrite individual risks. Develop appropriate limit structure, retention, pricing and endorsements within authority granted. Refer to supervisor for approval if outside authority.
- Manage personal book of business With regards to new lines, renewals and cross marketing of product lines within the department.
- Meet all divisional servicing objectives including but not limited to quote turnaround, policy issuance, phone management, file maintenance and documentation, etc. Maintain data integrity for underwriting system.
- Perform required marketing calls through regular broker visits on timely and frequent basis. Solicit new accounts, gather market intelligence and provide up-to-date department information relating to products and services. Manage select agency relationships to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Perform all necessary travel as required for marketing calls as well as client meetings.
- Continue to develop and update product and underwriting knowledge.
- Maintain up to date familiarity with economic and legal factors comparing department’s lines of business and insurance industry.
- Participate in projects or perform other related work as required.
- Coordinate with regional marketing representatives and profit center representatives to allow for cross marketing.
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Three or more years of experience underwriting Contractor’s Professional Liability, Contractor’s Pollution Liability. Design Professional (A&E) underwriting experience is a plus.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Strong basis of financial analysis
- Good computer skills
- Strong marketing abilities and relationships with brokers