Get daily alerts with jobs like this:
By providing us with your information, you agree to become a Bullhorn Reach User,
Report this Job as Spam
Responsibilities of Senior Systems Administrator (UNIX):
- Provide senior systems and networking expertise to the IT Operations team.
- Assist in ensuring 24/7 availability of key services and infrastructure in our production Linux environment.
- Respond to after hours emergencies, lead the mitigation and resolution processes.
- Research, develop, and implement new systems configuration management technologies and practices.
- Develop internal documentation for key systems and services.
- Proactively monitor and audit the health and availability of systems.
- Develop tools and processes to automate tasks to help scale IT Operations.
- Participate in capacity planning.
- Help foster data collection practices that help ensure completeness and availability of technical infrastructure tosupport system performance.
- Establish and follow Operations best practices.
- Participate in scalability and growth decisions.
- Assist and support Development troubleshooting complex application issues.
Requirements for Senior Systems Administrator (UNIX):
- 5+ years experience with UNIX systems administration, with the 2 most recent years being Linux.
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience is required.
- Guru-level systems and networking expertise (strace/gdb/systemTap debugging, custom kernels, various firewalls and load balancers, IDS).
- Extensive experience with standard Linux/UNIX daemons (apache, ssh, cron, bind, ldap, heartbeat, syslog, ntp).
- Ability to write complex scripts in a major scripting language (Bourne, Python, Perl, ruby), and experience in a programming language (C/C++/Java).
- Demonstrated deep understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts.
- Understanding of configuration management concepts and tools (bcfg2, cfengine, puppet, chef).
- Ability to diagnose complex networking issues using standard tools (tcpdump, wireshark, iptraf, smokeping, ntop).
- Extensive experience with and knowledge of virtualization technologies.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Recent experience handling on-call duties in a critical production datacenter.
- Ability and desire to mentor others, both within and outside the team.
Preferred Skills for Senior Systems Administrator (UNIX):
- Specific experience with RedHat a very strong plus.
- Familiarity with ITIL best practices and ITIL certification a plus.
- Red Hat Certification (RHCE) is a plus.
- Experience with SAN storage technologies is a plus.
- Experience with virtualization and VMware technology is a plus.
- Experience with Splunk, R, logstash, gnuplot, and other data analysis / graphing tools is a plus.
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS) is a plus.
|Applicant must meet ALL of these requirements.|
The primary responsibility of the Senior Systems Administrator a is to take leadership both in leading a team of fellow Systems Administrators as well as technical leadership on projects. These projects support both the day to day operations of keeping the lights on but also encourage the development and improvement of in house tools. Life as a Systems Administrator is very rewarding. As a result of the massive growth we have been experiencing Systems Administrators are constantly facing new challenges. This requires the candidates to be innovative in finding creative solutions. The ideal candidate will implement automation, instrumentation, and rely on technical expertise to make decisions and scale our platform.
- Previous management experience is a strong plus.
- Current environment is VM Ware / Virtualization but they're going towards Open Source technologies. - this is another strong Plus.
- 95% Unix/Linux Servers, mostly RedHat.
- For Scripting, they currently use Unix Shell (bourne) & Python