Program Associate, Environmental Conservation (closed)
Job Title:Program Associate, Environmental Conservation Program
Job Location: Palo Alto, CA
Established in September 2000, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation seeks to advance environmental conservation and scientific research around the world and improve the quality of life in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Foundation’s Environmental Conservation Program aims at changing the ways in which people use terrestrial, freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems to conserve critical ecological systems and functions, while allowing sustainable use. The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is among the top ten largest foundations in the U.S. and one of the largest private funders of environmental conservation and non-biomedical science in the world.
The Foundation is devoted to the inspirational vision articulated by our founders: “creating positive outcomes for future generations.” This vision guides our mission: “to achieve significant, lasting and measurable results in environmental conservation, science and the San Francisco Bay Area.” A set of core values—impact, integrity, disciplined approach, and collaboration—directs our work.
The Foundation carries out its work through the following frameworks:
Initiatives. Initiatives are built around well-developed strategies for concentrated investments, focused on the long-term and achieving significant impact. Initiatives are characterized by a portfolio approach to grantmaking, and other engagements of the Foundation, to pursue ambitious, large-scale outcomes. Initiatives constitute about 80% of the Foundation’s grantmaking.
Stand-alones. The Foundation devotes about 20% of its grantmaking to experimentation, focused innovation, and agile response to time-sensitive, high-impact opportunities in its three areas of focus.
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
§ Headquartered in Palo Alto, CA
§ Over $5 billion in assets
§ Annual Foundation budget of ~$250 million
§ 80 employees
§ Three program areas
· Environmental Conservation
· San Francisco Bay Area
For more information, please visit www.moore.org.
Environmental Conservation Program Description:
A healthy natural environment provides us with the resources needed to sustain life—from food and clean water, to medicines and raw materials. It also maintains global biodiversity and the productivity and resilience of ecological systems. However, in many places around the globe this natural capital is being spent faster than it can be renewed.
The goal of the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation’s Environmental Conservation Program is to change the ways in which people use terrestrial, freshwater, and coastal marine ecosystems to conserve critical ecological systems and functions, while allowing sustainable use. We focus our efforts on long-term support of a small number of initiatives and conservation grants that pursue measurable conservation outcomes on a broad scale.
The Program Associate position will provide program and administrative support for the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation’s Environment Program. This position has a term limit of four years. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer of the Environmental Conservation Program.
· Provides program support to Program Officers (POs)/Chief Program Officer (CPO) and facilitates internal coordination of the grant making process.
· Tracks key milestones for grants/strategies to ensure rigor in the pursuit of stated grant outcomes.
· Applies working knowledge of the program area in daily activities ranging from responding to inquiries to conducting special program-related research assignments.
· Drafts documentation by mining information from grant summaries, publications, etc. to help support the grant portfolio; synthesize relevant knowledge and track trends in the field.
· Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate course of action. Consults with POs or CPO on a majority of issues.
· Performs administrative duties, as needed, including but not limited to, convening/team schedules/expenses, scheduling meetings and travel.
· Creates Excel reports and leads project management for Environmental Conservation Program projects.
· Manages the grant pipeline and program budget including related activity (payments and requirements) by employing project management tools.
· Performs analysis and tracking of program allocation, including monthly funding and grant making projections.
· Assists in grant process and document development in the form of formatting, updating of grant records, contract preparation and liaising with various support functions to track and monitor the grant origination process to completion.
· Compiles Board Reports and related presentations to highlight and communicate major developments.
· Responsible for knowledge management processes (e.g. tracking media, relevant journals).
· Serves as information specialist/knowledge manager to program.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field required (advanced degree preferred).
· Two to four years work experience in a related role.
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Relevant experience in at least one of the following domains is required: conservation science, international environmental policy and/or environmental economics.
- Proficiency with technical systems and programs (e.g., MS Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and database management).
- Excellent project management and analytical skills.
- Ability to develop solutions to address problems at hand.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is a plus.
Compensation for the Program Associate position includes a competitive base salary and an excellent package of health, 401k, along with other outstanding benefits.
For immediate consideration please send your professional resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please reference this job posting in the title of your email.
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All correspondence will remain confidential.