Sr. Systems Administrator with the SEED School (Baltimore OR DC) (closed)
The SEED Foundation -- a catalyst for change in urban education -- is on the threshold of national expansion. In addition to operating high-performing schools in Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, SEED is actively developing new schools in both Ohio and Florida. The President of the United States has hailed SEED as “a true success story.”
As the Senior System Administrator, you will work closely with the Director of IT to support over 1,000 end users in our 3 current locations. You are free to work from our Foundation office in DuPont Circle, or on campus at either The SEED School of Washington DC, or in Baltimore at The SEED School of Maryland. You will spend time in each of our locations and will also be integral in setting up systems for our newest school in Cincinnati, Ohio, scheduled to open in August 2013.
Working here you will never be bored and your skills will never go stale. You will provide IT support to servers, as well as staff and student workstations and laptops. The primary applications currently in use include: Raisers Edge (Blackbaud), Watchguard XTM, Microsoft Exchange, Windows 2K8r2, Windows 7x64, Great Plains, VSphere, file and printer sharing services, Symantec Antivirus, Scantron, Lexia, Read180, etc.
Some of your major projects will include leading the transition to Apple laptops in our Maryland school, upgrading our phone systems to VOIP and determining IT needs for our newest campus in Ohio.
You colleagues will include our Director of IT, a Technical Support Manager and 2 help desk specialists. We will look to you to set up a standardized system for client and server updates, back-up systems and more. Your primary focus is on making our systems work efficiently so our end users can continue to do what they do best.
To Learn More About SEED
The success of the SEED model has been showcased in media outlets and publications such as 60 Minutes, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and in the documentary film, Waiting for Superman. Visit our website to learn more about our results.
Overall Responsibilities as the Senior System Administrator:
In this role you will:
- Provide systems administration for all systems including security access, email and internet policy, user groups as well as any governance or control issues that might apply.
- Support the users of key systems including Great Plains, Raiser’s Edge, Power School and KM systems. Identify, coordinate training for and generally support employee “power users” for each key system.
- Identify, implement and maintain systems to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of each school individually and to maximize the value of the network of schools.
- Assess user needs as they evolve to ensure that appropriate systems are used for data management and analysis and operational processes.
Network Management Support:
- Perform network installations, documentation and maintenance, such as adding new stations/users, applying network wide group policies and providing users direct day-to-day assistance in solving network-related problems.
- Plan, implement, and manage wide area network and expansion of the network.
- Make strategic recommendations regarding network system design and implementation. Work with campus construction and facilities staff, as appropriate, to design and implement networks.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of all technology architecture including network, servers, workstations, connectivity, back up and information security. Define network hardware and software requirements and perform network design and implementation. Design and help implement data-cabling systems and wireless access to the schools/ networks.
- Conduct regular system back-up and plan for emergency situations. Serve as lead IT administrator in an emergency or crisis situation.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field strongly preferred.
- 5-7 years experience in IT, managing projects with increasing responsibility.
- 5-7 years hands-on experience in implementing and maintaining Windows and Apple network environments.
- 2-3 years hands-on experience in implementing and maintaining server/client virtual network environments (i.e. VMWare).
- Experience working in a school or other educational environment and knowledge of educational systems would be a plus.
- Dell PowerVault and HP StorageWork or other SAN.
- Service Oriented: You are externally focused and committed to providing the highest level of service. You like to make things faster, more efficient, more seamless and more reliable.
- Strong Project Management Skills: You identify and analyze needs, and can implement procedures that enhance productivity. You are able to juggle multiple projects and tasks, and you are able to allocate and optimize resources, reduce risks, manage timelines, and get the work done.
- Problem Solver: You like to solve a variety of problems. You are innovative, technically creative and provide sensible solutions for IT needs. No task is too big or too small.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You won’t be bored and you won’t be limited. With 3 current locations and planned growth, you will have a wide array of interesting projects. SEED believes in curiosity, education and life-long learning for everyone. You will enjoy all the diversity and professional challenges of consulting, without always being on the road.
- You will be supporting bright, passionate people who work together closely to achieve our goals.
- You can take pride in knowing that your efforts will be in service to furthering the educational opportunities of underserved children and their families. Ultimately, all of our work profoundly impacts the lives of students and their families, creating a generation-altering impact.
SEED offers a comprehensive compensation package that includes four weeks vacation, eleven holidays, six sick days, health and dental insurance, FSA reimbursement accounts (health care, dependent care, and transit/parking), life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, and 403(b) plan.
To Apply for the Senior System Administrator Position:
The fastest way to apply for this position is to create a profile and apply through the link at the top of this page.
If you prefer, simply email a Word version of your resume and cover letter to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “SEED – Senior System Administrator/2012-1521” in the Subject line of the email.