Director of HR - Association of Corporate Counsel (DC) (closed)
Located in Washington, D.C., the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is a global bar association that promotes the common professional and business interests of in-house counsel who work for corporations, associations and other private-sector organizations through information, education, networking opportunities and advocacy initiatives. We anticipate and understand the needs of the in-house bar; help members deliver services to their corporate clients efficiently; promote the value of in-house services; influence the practice of law as it affects the in-house bar; and deliver a mix of relevant, timely services including information, education, networking, and advocacy.
With more than 30,000 members employed by over 10,000 organizations in more than 75 countries, ACC connects its members to each other and to the people and resources necessary for their personal and professional growth.
As the Director of Human Resources and Administration, you will report to and work closely with the Chief of Staff and you will supervise an Office Administrator. As an operational and tactical HR professional, you will proactively engage with all levels of staff to ensure employee engagement, provide coaching and information, and promote a culture of shared values and teamwork. We have grown steadily over the last decade, from 25 to 65 staff, and we anticipate continued, progressive growth within the next couple of years (an additional 10-15 staff). You will help us to continue to build and maintain our culture of excellence as you guide and advise managers on best practices that will successfully recruit and hire new staff.
We require a proactive, confident, and engaged individual who can successfully manage all aspects of HR, advise and guide senior leadership, and be both proactive and responsive to employee needs. As a strategic partner to the leadership team, you will direct, plan and lead the Human Resources function. You will work in partnership with leadership
and actively contribute to the strategic business plan, vision and mission of ACC, and ensure that “people processes” are aligned to support the goals of the organization. You will oversee the Office Management team and ensure that the needs of ACC staff are met. You will evaluate our current processes and best practices, make recommendations, and lead and mplement any changes going forward.
This is an engaged, hands-on leadership role where you will manage the day-to-day needs of the organization while leading key HR functions for the organization. You will apply your broad expertise across all areas of HR, including compensation and benefits, employee relations, HR processes and best practices, performance management, recruiting, organizational and career development, and training. And given the nature of our work and the work of our members, it is critical that you also possess a deep understanding of HR law and legal compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for the overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the Human Resources and Administrative functions.
Your key responsibilities will include:
Employee Relations & Advisory Services
- Develop, implement and monitor policies and programs that sustain a consistent, productive, efficient culture and environment; facilitates a positive employee experience.
- Advise management on appropriate resolution of employee relations issues and practices; provide support as needed (i.e. sit in on coaching or mediation sessions, assist in the wording of counseling situations).
- Answer managers’ and team members’ questions about policies, benefits, employment law, etc. and assist them in problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Help introduce or explain new or revised policies; new District or Federal laws and new or revised procedures.
- Investigate harassment, discrimination and external EEOC and Labor Board claims as needed and prepare position statements; respond to outside entities requesting additional information; consult with outside experts or employment attorney as required.
Recruiting & Performance Management
- Work to help ACC identify and establish recruiting approaches which support the organization’s growth and evolution.
- Establish consistent processes for and improvement in recruiting, interviewing, on-boarding and performance management systems; negotiate with and oversee external recruiters or outside consultants as needed.
- Work directly with managers to develop their skills in recruiting, hiring, performance management and leadership.
- Conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations; use information to coach supervisors and devise training programs to increase retention and employee satisfaction.
Benefits, Compensation & Career Development
- Establish and monitor competitive benefits and compensation programs that are fair to employees and cost effective for ACC.
- Develop a strong professional development program linked to enhancing the overall quality of ACC staff and staff ability to deliver on ACC strategy.
- Work with managers to develop legally defensible job descriptions and individual employee career development strategies that provide a basis for compensation and promotional decisions.
- Work with brokers and other vendors to negotiate renewals and maintain competitive benefit and compensation programs.
- Effectively communicate benefit and compensation programs to staff and ensure they have access to the necessary information that they require to effectively use their benefits.
- Coach managers to improve their ability and effectiveness communicating with their team members about compensation and benefit value and career development opportunities.
Operational & Administrative
- Oversee and maintain employee tracking systems to establish metrics, patterns and trends that can be used to improve productivity, track progress, audit compensation and other HR practices.
- Maintain all employee files and employment related documentation and policies.
- Ensure full compliance with all federal and district laws regarding the legal processing and documentation required for all employees.
Office Management Group
- Develop, oversee and revise (as appropriate) the annual budget.
- Supervise the Office Management staff.
- Ensure that Office Management operations meet the needs of ACC staff.
Essential Education, Experience, Skills, and Competencies
This position requires the following:
BS/BA in Business Administration with an emphasis in Human Resources or equivalent business experience. HR certification from a recognized accredited program and/or PHR or SPHR preferred.
8+ years progressive HR generalist experience, at least several of which should be in a non-profit environment.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a progressively more responsible HR management role, advising senior level staff on strategic and operational policy and programs. Must have specific management responsibility in several of the areas outlined in the responsibilities section above.
- Deep understanding of HR principles and best practice in the areas of Employee Relations, Performance Management, Recruiting, Organizational Development, Inclusion, Staff Relations, Change Management, Compensation and Legal Compliance.
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable federal and state labor laws and regulations (e.g., EEO, FLSA, ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation).
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface effectively at all levels of the organization, including the Board.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Demonstrated employee relations skills, including conflict resolution, alternative dispute processes, and facilitation skills.
- Strong problem solving/analytical skills to investigate and formulate recommendations and action plans.
- Strong organization and project management skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple, complex projects.
- Experience developing HR platform for small to mid-sized companies (50-200 employees).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Strong consulting, presentation, facilitation and training skills.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
Attributes of a Successful Senior Director of Human Resources
- Strong facilitator: You have a proven track record of getting results by building strong relationships and partnerships. Your ego takes a back seat as you remain professional at all times and build effective relationships. You build consensus, as you seek first to understand, then to be understood. You understand the concerns and needs of others and how to realistically manage expectations.
- Self-confident, highly capable and driven: You have everyone’s best interests in mind. You earn trust by your actions and faithfully keep your promises. You are seen as an
“honest broker” and you are known for how you “get things done.”
- Priority management and judgment: You are thoughtful in your approach. You demonstrate excellent judgment and you are a model of the tact and discretion required of an HR
professional. You easily identify what is important and what is a priority, you are able to shift gears and reprioritize as needed.
- Service-driven. You are committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization. You are approachable, flexible and responsive. You confidently engage with staff at all levels. You collaborate on projects and communicate results, and you are willing to listen and learn from others. You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Problem solver: You take things from start to finish. You’re intellectually curious and you work with a sense of urgency. You are detail-oriented, but you can also see the big picture and understand how the details relate to the overall mission of the organization.
- Trusted partner and advisor: Colleagues respect you for your knowledge and abilities – you are known as both an HR expert and a trusted resource.
- Process-oriented project manager. You thrive on efficiency. You are able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines. You enjoy creating and implementing processes and procedures that uphold rigorous standards.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- You will work with all levels of the organization and will be a sought-after strategic advisor and HR leader. You will have an active voice as a key contributor.
- You will enjoy a close working relationship with the Chief of Staff, who is accessible, supportive, and won’t micromanage.
- Your contributions and leadership will be appreciated – our staff is dedicated and good at what they do, and they will be deeply appreciative of your efforts to preserve an environment that is both fun and fair, and a great place to work.
- We are financially sound and growing.
- You will enjoy a flexible work environment that respects your life outside of work.
- ACC offers a comprehensive compensation/benefits package.
To Apply for the Director of Human Resources and Administration
The fastest way to apply for this job is through the link at the top of this page.
If you prefer, simply email a word version of your resume and cover letter to Jennie Kinsfather at firstname.lastname@example.org with “ACC - Director of HR and Administration/2012-1529” in the subject line of the email.