SQL Database Administrator (closed)
MS-SQL Database Administrator
SUMMARY: Responsible for key development and production environments which include the design, implementation, and support of enterprise database systems, enhancing the integrity, security and performance of the database operating environment. Participates in design reviews and interfaces with software engineers to provide input and guidance regarding schema design and query optimization. Also responsible for the availability of the database hardware and applications ensuring they are maintained and documented to the highest standards. Will design and architect enterprise database environments and present concepts, issues, and solutions to executive management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Defines the database-specific constructs such as tables, indexes, views, constraints, triggers, cursors, stored procedures, tablespaces or storage parameters, and others that are needed to store, retrieve, delete persistent objects.
- Creates automated processes utilizing scripts, DTS packages, and Microsoft Business Intelligence tools.
- Responsible for Data Stewardship including; developing and maintaining standards, schema object management, normalization, replication monitoring & configuration and storage growth planning.
- Responsible for Data Performance including; database architecture, database design, logical & physical and SQL analysis.
- Responsible for Database Administration including; maintaining uptime, security, monitoring health, tuning & growth and backup plan.
- Administers procedures for database and application security and documents database structures and management, maintenance, and recovery processes.
- Manages merge replication subscriptions including conflict minimization and resolution.
- Responsible for disk space optimization for performance (RAID and SAN).
- Responsible for connectivity to the database through two-tier and three tier mechanisms like client connections, ODBC, etc.
- Interfaces with Microsoft to resolve Microsoft SQL Server issues or problems.
- Assists with the testing/QA process including problem determination and resolution.
- Assists the developers in writing SQL queries & stored procedures and creating and modifying database schemas.
- Installs and deploys required SQL servers and service packs.
- Develops and optimizes database structures, stored procedures, views, triggers and user defined functions.
- Refreshes QA and staging environment with production database and sets up security levels of access.
- Implements and maintains SQL Reporting Services for various reporting jobs.
- Provides effective level II help desk support on a 24/7 basis by researching/analyzing issues to determine database related implications, effectively communicating with all impacted parties and by troubleshooting/resolving issues with a sense of urgency to minimize any system downtime.
- Administers development and production environments, including websites and databases and the continual monitoring of website and database performance, controls access permissions and privileges.
Education and/or Experience
Must have at least 3+ years of in-depth SQL Server 2005/2008 Database Administration including experience creating MS SQL stored procedures & queries and designing/developing database applications, and T-SQL experience. Exceptional organization, analytical, problem solving & communication skills are required. Significant data experience including the understanding of data modeling, data warehousing, database optimization and relational database schemas is required. Must have the ability to interpret and write complex SQL queries and have practical experience in monitoring and tuning a database. Strong project management experience and experience with financial services systems is preferred. Must have the ability to work weekends and after hours. Experience migrating from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005/2008.
Other Skills Required
Candidates for this position must have a strong desire and passion to learn new technologies, a demonstrated commitment to quality and the ability to work in teams with a collaborative interpersonal style.
- MS SQL Server 2005 and MS SQL Server 2008
- Proficient with XML
- Transactional SQL
- DTS Packages and stored procedures
- Microsoft Access
- Visio (or similar software)
- C# programming and command scripts desirable
- Experience deploying, managing and optimizing clustered MS SQL environments
- Familiarity with .NET 1.1 through 3.5
- MCSE/MCDBA certification & experience with PowerShell or other Windows-based scripting tools is a plus.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related field preferred