Manager, System Engineering
Role and Scope of Position:
This position, in conjunction with other areas of Engineering, shares accountability for optimizing the cost and performance of distribution system.
Primarily responsible for the overall implementation of the strategy for the organization as it relates to system assets (circuits, substations, etc.). Accountable for developing and managing a consistent strategy amongst engineers to ensure optimization of the entire distribution system.
Helps with the development of cost beneficial projects that populate the Life Cycle Plan. Manages, leads, coaches and evaluates the performance of the System Engineering Team to enable the organization to achieve its goals and objectives. This position must have in-depth knowledge of distribution operations and be able to define new models and concepts for driving performance in this business.
- Manages the area by establishing and monitoring area goals, policies, plans, programs, performance objectives and budget. Analyzes and recommends resource levels to plan, develop and implement programs and policies. Establishes operating and financial objectives and aligns with department goals. Responsible for the management of area financial resources.
- Oversees the management and development of area staff, which is primarily decentralized in service centers. Assesses the need for, and oversees implementation of, programs to ensure employees possess technical and behavioral skills required to support operating plans. Manages, selects, coaches and develops area staff.
- Develops system infrastructure strategy, operating philosophy and technical basis for renewal decisions that include economic life determination and associated risk profiles. Works closely with Manager of System Planning on integration with planning process (Bulk Power Substations).
- Collaborates with other managers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Develops, implements and communicates the Life Cycle Plan for NSTAR as it relates to system assets, such as circuits, feeders and substations.
- Coordinates and prioritizes work within each service area and across Electric Operations.
- Establishes and monitors the cost and performance model that monitors the key performance indicators of the system assets.
- Responsible for the engineering design of life cycle plan projects for system assets.
- Provides support to operating areas and dispatch relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
Education: Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline. Master’s Degree in Engineering or MBA preferred.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years in operations including previous managerial experience. Demonstrated experience in planning, and the ability to play a leadership role in performance improvement efforts.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and support a diversified environment. It is the policy and practice of NSTAR Electric & Gas to employ persons and to assign work, pay, promote and offer training to all persons on the same basis without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran.
Not a good fit for you? For more listings, check out www.nstarcareers.com