Software Development Engineer (Contract) (closed)
To be an active participant in a growing software development team creating consumer web applications for energy management and display devices. Your primary responsibilities in this position will be to design and engineer reliable, high performance embedded Linux browser applications on an embedded display platform.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design and deliver software to requirements set by Product Management and tracked by the project manager.
- Develop embedded Linux browser code and middleware making use of GWT(client), Java, Ajax and HTML/CSS, following Agile development methodologies and techniques.
- Provide accurate and timely reports and information (to include weekly timesheets) about your workload and project progress to Software and Engineering Management.
- The successful candidate will have an appropriate mix of experience and formal technical education, ideally with a good degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
- An experience minimum of three full (commercial preferred; open-source projects will be accepted if considered appropriate) product development cycles developing Web applications.
Essential Skills and Technologies:
- Object oriented design, experience and an in-depth working knowledge of GWT (client), Java, Ajax and HTML/CSS.
- Unit testing frameworks.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision for extended periods.
- Test and/or Behaviour Driven Development experience.
- Experience with Continuous Integration Tools and Techniques.
- Experience working within and running SCRUM projects.
- Experience and a working knowledge of Graphic Design, Vector Graphics and Browser-based logging/debugging would be advantageous.
- Experience of Embedded Linux on ARM/MIPS platforms.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner and manages client expectations. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit whilst supporting everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Time Management – Prioritises and plans work activities, both individually and as part of a team. Uses time effectively and meets commitments for quantity and quality of work.
- Technical skills – Applies technology and strives enthusiastically to continuously build knowledge and skills, especially in the companies’ core areas. Shares expertise with others.
- Adaptability – Manages competing demands, able to deal with change.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathering and analysing information skilfully. Develops alternative solutions and escalates as appropriate.