Principal Database Administrator (closed)
The Principal Database Administrator is a highly experienced professional software developer with a focus on Database development. This Administrator provides technical leadership and expertise to Administoring staff within a technology sector. The Principal Database Administrator brings a successful track record of delivering software, following through from conception to deployment
Responsible for oversight of the MSSQL infrastructure.
- Is involved in reviews of all project efforts and ensures completeness of architectural approach and documentation in the area of Database.
- Being the primary technical resource for SQL related design, performance, security and configuration issues
- Responsible for management, tuning, and performance monitoring of SQL Server databases. Includes consideration for optimization of server and storage utilization, consolidation of licenses, high availability and disaster tolerance. Provides tools and techniques for Operations staff to maximize effectiveness of reporting databases. Performs routine space and consistency checks, and manages SQL security.
- Responsible for deploying and/or migrating SQL Server databases. Includes project planning and design considerations, existing SQL Server cataloguing, deployment and migration execution, and product release notes SQL code reviews
- Create and maintain SQL Server maintenance plans (for backup/recovery/optimization) and proactively monitor SQL Servers to ensure secure database services with minimum downtime.
- Respond quickly and effectively to production SQL Server environment issues and take responsibility for seeing those issues through to resolution. Issues might occur during or after normal business hours.
- Plan for and install SQL Server and required Updates, Service Packs, Patches, and Hot Fixes to SQL Server environments.
- Work with the team to review existing and new database architectures, security settings and stored procedures to identify potential performance and security risks.
- Assist in planning of strategies and perform implementation to eliminate any such risks that are discovered.
- Work directly with the Software Administrating Management team to identify, suggest and improve Administrating processes within the department and insure adherence through each of the above mentioned areas, particularly in their area of specialization.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Assigned administrative and design tasks in projects that will allow them to maintain their skills as Database Administrators and become more familiar with project tasks.
- Provide architectural guidance to all projects requiring MS SQL support.
- Working closely with Systems Engineering and Application Development resources to ensure proper integration and systems design capabilities.
- Expected to provide feedback to management on the performance of staff within their area of responsibility.
- Provide leadership to the Database Administrator staff and assist in the direction of staff on his or her team.
- Act as a mentor for other Database Administrators working within his/her specific technology sector.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
? BS degree in Computer Science or related field.
? 10+ years professional experience required
? 8-10 years of experience with clustering, indexing, mirroring
? 5-7 years of experience with Transact SQL code creating views and stored procedures.
? 5-7 years of experience in physical and logical data modeling, troubleshooting and tuning.
? 2-3 years of experience in developing and deploying SSIS.
Boston, MA, US.