Mechanical Engineer / Senior Research & Development Engineer (closed)
In this position you will handle projects from start to finish with minimal supervision assuming a leadership role on less critical projects. Using creative and novel approaches, you will conceive, plan, develop, and implement new technologies for enhancing the hydro and fossil (combined cycle) plants’ reliability and availability including O&M savings. You will work with staff and external research and development organizations to develop, test and evaluate the efficacy of these new innovative tools and techniques. Once validated, you will assist in the implementation and installation of these tools and techniques and deliver working products to various divisions and plants. Other responsibilities include:
- Keep abreast of the latest technology developments and products, analytical and computer simulation tools.
- Prepare reports and technical papers for dissemination
- Track and study new technologies with potential for O&M savings and bring these technologies in house for testing and/or implementation
- Provide technical leadership in the area of expertise.
- Prepare engineering calculations, estimates, cost analyses and reports. Prepare technical scopes of work and Request for Proposals along with required specifications and list of bidders.
- Analyze potential projects for their economic impact. Evaluate project scope, review feasibility reports, make presentations and recommendations, develop design documents and specifications, evaluate bid results and make recommendations for contract award.
- Track and prepare status reports for all assigned projects. Manage contractors to carry out the scopes of work.
- Must be able to travel occsaionally
- Power experience in the operation and maintenance of equipment and components in hydro and fossil plants with emphasis on instrumentation, control and automation for improved plant operations, combustion turbine and combined cycle O&M, and heat recovery steam generator (HRSG).
- Working knowledge of data acquisition and remote monitoring systems for generating plants.
- Ability to execute several projects/job assignments concurrently and to manage the work of outside project consultants and contractors. Ability to prepare equipment and service specifications, prepare project scopes of work and issue RFPs.
- Capable of working independently as well as part of a team; have excellent written and verbal communication skills; possess the ability to present ideas to others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to organize information and effectively present ideas to the intended audience.
- Strong project management skills and a team oriented approach are required to plan, execute and complete multiple projects on time and within budget.
- Position requires a Bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. An M.S. or Ph.D. is preferred
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant and applicable experience (less for a M.S. or Ph.D.) with an electric utility, power producer, research organization, manufacturer, or consultant.
- PE license is required
- Knowledge of power plant, generation, transmission, and substation equipment and systems
- Technical knowledge across multiple engineering disciplines.
- Project management experience is essential including experience with engineering consultants and labor contractors
- Knowledge of basic financial management procedures and principles
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with spreadsheets, word processors, databases and project management software.
- Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment
- Driver’s license required.
- Experience interacting with other utilities, regulatory agencies and customers is a plus.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org