Sr / Principal Optical Engineer for LED Products (closed)
Are you innovative, creative and willing to take charge? OSRAM Sylvania, one of the world's largest lighting companies has a need for a Senior/Principal Optical Engineer in our Consumer Lighting Solid State Lighting R&D department.
OSRAM SYLVANIA is the #1 lighting manufacturer in North America and a worldwide leader in lighting solutions. Our products feature innovative design and energy saving technology. We sell products for homes, businesses and vehicles primarily under the SYLVANIA brand name in the US, and operate under the OSRAM brand in Europe, China and beyond. Around 60 percent of sales come from energy-efficient products.
Be part of the expansion of our Solid State Lighting program. Engage in cutting edge development on innovative products, applications and interfaces. Work with the best and most talented engineers and scientists in the world in our state of the art facilities.
You will be part of the green revolution, working on incandescent and tungsten halogen replacements and street lighting replacements that will significantly reduce consumer energy consumption. You will also be working on consumer luminaires including table lamps, wall sconces, pendants and ceiling suspended lights.
The successful candidate will design and develop optical solutions for LED based lamps. This entails design of lenses, reflector and other optical elements of the lamp to enhance optical efficiency of LED lamps, create optimal directionality and/or omni-drectionality in beam pattern.
Bring your expertise to improve the optical system of Solid State Lighting systems. Candidate will work with a high level of technical creativity and independence to solve unique and complex technical problems. Candidate will be a key project contributor and a project leader with accountability for specific project results.
Development activities include:
- Design and develop illumination systems and solutions for LED based lamps and luminaires
- Provide optical simulations of existing and new LED based lamps and luminaires that enable customers to quickly integrate these designs in their solutions
- Execute and manage optical projects from design to manufacturing while interfacing with various groups within the organization
- Perform photometric and other qualification tests that meet optical, electrical, thermal, and other various standards requirements
- Generate engineering documentation such as design reports, BOM's, qualification reports, etc
- Work creatively, efficiently, and quickly with cross functional teams, external vendors, applications, marketing and manufacturing groups
Candidate must be:
- · Enthusiastic, entrepreneurial and highly innovative, can-do attitude, resourceful problem solver, comfortable in a fast-moving and highly dynamic environment
- · Team player: ability to work efficiently as a part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary product development team including mechanical, electronics engineers and manufacturing engineers.
- · Committed to meeting tight deadlines and meeting customer requirements
- · Excellent in communication and presentation skills
Ideal candidate will have knowledge in the following areas:
- · Illumination systems design- not limited to reflectors, lightpipes, etc
- · Free-form optics design
- · Integration of optical materials and components in systems
- · Photometry and colorimetry and optical test equipment
- · Manufacturing methods of optical components such as lenses, reflectors, etc
- · Illumination simulation tools such as Light Tools (preferred), ASAP or Zemax
- · LED technology
- · Lighting and luminaire basics
- · Mathematics. Physics and chemistry background is a plus
- · Optical and plastic materials
- · CAD software skill is a plus
**This is a senior level position.**
- A minimum BS+7 or MS+2 years of Optical design experience is required.
- Familiarity with Light Tools or similar illumination software is a must.
- It is desirable to have experience with completion of a full cycle of product development from concept to mass production.
Along with a highly competitive salary, OSI offers full medical benefits, matching 401K, extensive wellness programs and tuition reimbursement. Our location offers a business casual environment, an on-site cafeteria, on-site fitness center with classes and a great working environment. OSI is also a member of the North Shore Transportation Association and a Community Supported Agriculture program.
OSRAM SYLVANIA wishes to deal directly with our best and brightest candidates.
We do not work with third party recruiters.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage diverse candidates to apply directly to our site.
For quick consideration
Click here to apply