Senior Process Control Engineer: Metallurgical Processing (closed)
My Client is a successful process control, automation and electrical engineering company who provide expertise and solutions to optimize plant-wide process control and enable operational excellence. As part of the company’s expansion they require a Senior Process Control Engineer.
For qualified candidates this is an excellent opportunity to relocate to Australia and grow your career at a successful company in a beautiful part of the world.
The Senior Process Control Engineer engages with other professionals in a team environment. Members of the team are responsible for the design, development, implementation and support of process control solutions to a range of clients in a variety of situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This requires appropriate tertiary qualifications from a recognized institution, as well as sufficient practical industry experience to be eligible for membership of relevant professional associations and regulatory bodies.
The position is based primarily in a professional office environment in Brisbane, Queensland however the employee will be required to attend client sites in both commercial and industrial environments. This will include locations such as smelters, concentrators, pulp and paper plants, coal preparation plants, chemical plants and refineries.
The hazards in the work environment are usually moderate, although most industrial sites will require the use of Personal Protective Equipment, including respirators and mono-goggles.
Medical examinations may be required to ascertain suitability to work on some sites. In particular, lung function tests may be required for some sites.
Travel away from home to both domestic and international locations will be expected.
DUTIES OF POSITION
- Maintain a strong focus on workplace health and safety
- Provide troubleshooting and technical support for process control systems
- Design, specify, deploy, and sustain base process control systems on major DCS platforms
- Design, specify, deploy, and sustain advanced control solutions
- Monitor process control technology developments
- Provide advice and guidance for R&D, engineering standards, and best practices
- Where assigned, undertake the role of Lead developer taking responsibility for meeting budgeted man-hours, cost budgets and schedules
- Where assigned, monitor and manage the work of subordinate staff to ensure compliance with technical and quality assurance standards and procedures
- Accept responsibility for the accuracy, quality and timeliness of application software and system design performed directly and for that performed by assigned staff
- Monitor and manage the work of self and subordinate staff to ensure compliance with technical and quality assurance standards and company goals and procedures
- Participate in the peer groups and exchange ideas and feedback within the team
- Carry out site visits to liaise with clients, gather data, inspect installations or manufacturing progress or perform commissioning tasks
- Participate in multidiscipline project teams and interact with partners as required
- Evaluate new technologies and methods for future applications
- Train and mentor graduates and lower level staff
- Assist in business development activities as required
- Maintain and develop the company’s client base by wining client’s satisfaction and trust during the performance of assigned projects
- Maintain a focus on efficiency and profitability by giving and seeking clear and unambiguous instructions
- Maintain a focus and understanding of company policies and procedures
- Work constructively with others to achieve positive results
- Act with integrity and honesty, accept constructive criticism well, and use recognition
- Develop technical and management skills while attending selected training courses and/or completing post-graduate studies
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR POSITION
- At least 10 years of professional experience delivering or supporting process control technology. There is a preference for experience in Advanced Process Control.
- A Bachelors or higher degree in Chemical or another Engineering qualification (Mechanical/Electrical/Physics) but with specialization in Process Control.
- A sound background in engineering, as well as significant knowledge in the fields of process technology, process dynamics, mathematics, simulation, and technical computing.
- Solid understanding of a variety of DCS platforms
- Experience designing highly reliable and innovative process control strategies
- Solid understanding of Windows OS, networking, and system security fundamentals
- Superb analytical and troubleshooting skills and methodical approaches to solving difficult problems
- Team oriented, but self-sufficient
- Excellent communication skills and client-facing rapport
- Eager to demonstrate value by sharing knowledge with others
- Ability to read technical documentation and client briefs and interpret implications and actions required for successful implementation
- Ability to prepare and write well-structured technical reports, specifications, business correspondence, as well as meeting minutes and general project documentation
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of clients, managers and customers
- Ability to develop and write operational procedures and work instructions
Reasoning and Analytical
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to break a complex task into its components and assign their relevant priorities
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form, when dealing with client requests and non-technical personnel
- Ability to utilize all available research methods and resources available for technical support
AUTHORITY OF POSITION
- Direct subordinate personnel as assigned on a project-by-project basis
- Quality assurance signing of designs, documents and application software as per company policy
- Expenditure limits within project budgets as per company policy
For qualified candidates the client offers an excellent salary and benefits package as well as visa sponsorship and relocation expenses.