SBS Senior Software Quality Engineer (closed)
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) currently has an opening in the Insurance Products and Services Division on the State Based Systems (SBS) Team for a Senior Software Quality Engineer. The qualifications for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Works individually, as member of team and functions as team lead to implement organizational quality systems and process frameworks.
- Researches, evaluates and tests new or modified software programs and software development procedures used to verify that programs function according to user requirements and conform to established guidelines.
- Writes, revises, implements, verifies and ensures the successful implementation of quality standards and test procedures for program design and product evaluation to attain quality of software economically and efficiently.
- Responsible for test plan development, QA automation and test plan execution, results analysis and reporting.
- Ensures the successful execution of software white box and black box testing.
- Serves as team lead for interns and junior members of the SBSQA team, responsible for training and mentoring of these staff, as well as delegating and ensuring productivity by assigning tasks and monitoring progress.
- Ensures the successful completion and implementation of quality assurance plans, test strategies and test procedures, including the transition from manual to automated environments.
- Establishes and implements quality assurance best practices and is responsible for evaluating, maintaining, modifying and enhancing existing quality methods and processes.
- Works closely with development staff to execute program improvements and/or corrections to programs identified during testing.
Education and/or experience required:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or Associates in Applied Science specific to Computer science and 3 + years related work experience; or an equivalent combination or education and work experience. Certified Software Quality Assurance Analyst (CSQA) or CTFL (Int’l certification) preferred. Certified Software Test Engineer (CSTE) preferred. Software Quality Engineer Certification (CSQE) desired.
- Required experience in Mercury Automated Testing Tools.
- Required experience in Oracle, stored procedures, CGI, Access, and Excel
- Must be proficient with the entire development life cycle; starting with the analysis, design, construction, implementation, and following through to the evolution phases.
- Required experience in Jrun and SunOne.
- Required experience in Unix.
- Required experience with Web Services, Soap, and XML.
- Must be available to work evening and weekends as needed.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be proactive and consistently demonstrate initiative.
- Must consistently exhibit excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Must process the initiative and motivation to identify, initiate, plan and implement team and development goals, serving as team lead in supporting these goals.
- Proficient in dealing with multiple levels of detail, for projects with complex testing requirements, and assist less experienced team members in this area.
- Proficient in multi-tasking between projects and tasks.
- Proficient in implementing complex software test procedure analysis and software test methodology.
- Must have unquestionable work ethics, excellent communication skills, excellent at expressing concerns and ideas verbally and in writing including all levels of management within the organization.
- Must possess the ability to recognize, organize and set priorities of action items within complex projects, and expertly coordinate these.
- Possess Initiative and motivation to work independently, and ability to perform complex production control and testing activities, as well as user consultation.
- Competent in the areas of Software Requirements analysis and Software Requirements trace matrices.
- Capable of reading and interpreting complex software problem reports, determining what testing must be performed to verify the software change and what testing must be performed to verify that the change has not adversely impacted the other areas in the software or applications.
- Proficient in writing automated testing scripts with Load Runner and Astra Quick Test.
- Must be proficient at gathering and analyzing data through interviews and observations, as well as documenting business requirements for SBSQA owned applications.
- Must be capable of understanding and implementing complex software test procedures, interpreting and effectively communicating complex software requirements. Responsible for delegating and monitoring these tasks as necessary.
About the NAIC
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is the U.S. standard-setting and regulatory support organization created and governed by the chief insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories. Through the NAIC, state insurance regulators establish standards and best practices, conduct peer review, and coordinate their regulatory oversight. NAIC staff supports these efforts and represents the collective views of state regulators domestically and internationally. NAIC members, together with the central resources of the NAIC, form the national system of state-based insurance regulation in the U.S.
Why Work at the NAIC?
• 37.5 Hour Work Week
• Compressed Scheduling
• Choice of Insurance Plans
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Referral Bonuses
• Jeans Day Every Friday
• Paid Covered Parking
• Interest Free Personal Computer Loans
• “Crunch Day” Treats Every Month
• Vacation Buy Back
• Infants in the Work Place
• Adoption Assistance
• Eight Paid Holidays
• Employee Recognition Programs
• Days off for Community Service
• Fitness Center Free for Staff
For consideration, please apply online at: