Software Engineering Manager (SaaS, Agile/Scrum) - Greater Boston, MA (closed)
Our client, a profitable tier-one venture backed software organization, has exclusively engaged CareerEncore (http://www.careerencore.com) to conduct a search for a Software Engineering Manager. We’re looking for a strong leader who’s passionate about delivering great software and managing growing teams. You’ll be managing a fantastic team of 8 developers and 2 QA engineers, and will report to the VP of Engineering. The company’s technology products include consumer-facing web applications, enterprise SaaS applications and industry-leading business intelligence and predictive analytics.
What You’ll Do:
• Lead growth and maturation of agile and scrum processes to improve our velocity and ability to release software rapidly for our users. Facilitate sprint planning and scrum process across a range of projects.
• Collaborate with Tech Leads in setting goals to deliver against business requirements and balance resolving tech debt and core platform investments.
• Ensure the Engineering team is following defined engineering processes throughout the product lifecycle to repeatedly achieve delivery objectives. Establish core metrics and measures to improve velocity and cadence.
• Oversee and coordinate product releases, integrating feedback on system dependencies and priorities to set appropriate release date expectations and meet them. Continue to shorten the distance between developers and production via championing continuous deployment methodologies.
• Identify areas for improvement, and develop and implement best-practices in software quality processes within the QA team.
• Devise and implement standards of excellence within the Engineering team including coding standards, tools, etc.
• Collaborate closely with the Technical Operations team to release, deploy, monitor and manage the software in production.
• Collaborate closely with the Product Management team to develop requirements, create estimate, manage priorities and communicate status of in-process development and release schedules.
• Continue to evolve the Engineering culture to attract and retain excellent talent, foster mastery of our craft and drive continuous improvement.
• Provide coaching and mentoring
• 4+ years experience utilizing agile and scrum to manage software engineering and QA teams in a SaaS/ASP environment.
• 2+ years experience planning and managing software releases across multiple product lines in an agile, continuous deployment environment.
• Ability to manage multiple teams, projects and schedules to coordinate successful releases and achieve quality objectives.
• (Although you will not be coding) hands-on development experience with Java-based, n-tier web applications, RDBMS; modern frontend web design patterns and frameworks; design, development and deployment of REST services.
• Experience with core development toolchain: Eclipse, Subversion, git, Jenkins, Maven.
• Experience implementing and refining core QA test practices and strategies ranging from manual through automated testing.
• Process-oriented and innovative while effectively balancing short- and long-term business needs.
• Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation, large audience, small-team, one-to-one).
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment and think quickly on your feet to creatively solve problems and turn learnings into process improvements.
• Success working in a fast-paced, technical environment.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field required.