Distinguished Scientist (closed)
The Risk Detection team in Austin, TX is looking for an experienced research engineer to join this growing team. Key areas of responsibility would be:
- Identify new opportunities for advancing data mining tools, algorithms, and other capabilities in response to business needs
- Drive the internal R&D innovation process, from harvesting ideas to prioritizing, rapid prototyping, and testing these ideas in the production environment
- Lead the execution of an innovation agenda focused on driving the development and adoption of advanced data mining technologies and algorithms, including Pattern Recognition, Machine Learning, Text Mining, Social Network Analysis, and Time Series Mining
- Provide technical and analytic leadership in conducting high impact research, carrying out prototyping and proofs of concept, and executing the transition of the proven results for adoption
- Collaborate with Production Management and Technology to implement and scale new data mining algorithms and solutions for risk detection and prevention using PayPal’s proprietary event-driven risk decision engine as well as open source distributed computing technology such as Hadoop
- Form contacts and partnership with academia and industry experts. Keep abreast of current technological trends in large scale data mining. Identify and pursue opportunities for collaboration in analytic research
- MS in a science or engineering field with 8+ years of relevant professional experience. Ph.D. degree preferred
- Knowledge of state-of-art data mining algorithms, with emphasis on information extraction from very large amount of data. Knowledge and hands-on experience with Natural Language Processing and Graph Data Mining highly desirable
- Strong hands-on experience with development of complex software tools and systems for supporting data-intensive applications. Proficient in Java and a scripting language such as Python or Perl. Good understanding of web technologies and Unix. Experience with distributed computing systems and methodologies such as Hadoop and MapReduce is highly desirable.
- Creative problem solver, analytic thinker, and quick learner. Strong conceptual and creative problem-solving skills; ability to work with considerable ambiguity; ability to learn new and complex concepts quickly. Relentlessly resourceful and scrappy
- Strong ability to collaborate with cross-functional team members located across the globe and build strong working relationships with broad cross section of business and technology partners
PayPal is the faster, safer way to pay and get paid online. The service allows people to send money without sharing financial information, with the flexibility to pay using their account balances, bank accounts, credit cards or promotional financing. With 106 million active accounts in 190 markets and 25 currencies around the world, PayPal enables global ecommerce. PayPal continues to push the boundaries of technology by investing in individuals who passionately believe in the potential of innovative technologies that make up a global market place.
At PayPal/eBay, no matter which of our offices, brands, or locations you call home, you will discover consistent benefits that are intended to support you-in your work, your life, your passions, and your future. This is where innovation meets reality!
Are you an individual who is ready to grow and join our global community? Would you just like to know more about our latest and greatest projects? We would love to talk to you about it!
More information about our other exciting positions can be found at https://www.jobs.ebaycareers.com.
eBay companies are proudly EEOC compliant.
PLEASE EMAIL RESUME TO WFRAKES@PAYPAL.COM