Patent Agent (closed)
Technology Resources is currently seeking a Patent Agent for a prestigious DC law firm. The successful candidate will join the firm’s Intellectual Property department. This position requires attention to detail, great organizational and analytical skills. Don't miss the opportunity to work for an exciting and dynamic law firm located in the heart of the Penn Quarter. Overview of Responsibilities:
- Creates technical diagrams and drawings from which patent applications follow.
- Writes patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Prepares official correspondence with the USPTO as assigned.
- Communicates with attorneys, office staff, inventors, and patent examiners in the USPTO and foreign attorneys to aid in the prosecution of an application.
- Assists with technical issues in IP due diligence and litigation.
- Researches new client technology to determine any "new" technology.
- Travels to meet attorneys/clients/inventors to discuss inventions and/or applications.
- Reviews issued patents for attorneys to assist in patent protection.
- Maintains a docket of statutory USPTO and client due dates and satisfies all due dates in accordance with client instructions and firm docketing procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess detailed knowledge of USPTO filing requirements.
- Must be independently motivated to succeed and measure success on a team level.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, on a prepared and extemporaneous basis.
- Ability to provide quality client service to both internal and external contacts. Requires patience, creativity and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a cooperative manner to accomplish position functions and participate in team efforts.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or related field required. Master's degree or PhD in applicable subject matter with interest in intellectual property law preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience during which knowledge, skills and abilities applicable to the position were demonstrated.
- Large law firm experience preferred.
- Must have valid USPTO Registration Number or relevant experience and the knowledge required to pass the United States Patent Agent Bar Exam within a predetermined time period.
For consideration, please email your resume and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org.