Process Engineer (closed)
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide engineering-level production support to manufacturing operation.
- Solve process issues through data analysis, experimentation, and collaboration with subject matter experts.
- Provide engineering expertise for fundamental understanding of manufacturing issues.
- Provide trend analysis of key metrics and implement response plans.
- Lead and/or provide support for projects involving cost reduction, process optimization, and new products.
- Actively engage in plant safety initiatives and projects.
- Recommend/implement improvements to processes and equipment.
- Identify chronic issues and recommend corrective actions.
- Provide leadership or support for startup of new equipment lines.
- Develop and update engineering and operations documentation.
- Provide training for operations workforce regarding equipment or operations changes.
Travel Requirements: Less than 5%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8-10 hours/day; 40-50 hours/week. This position requires off-hours coverage on nights and weekends on a rotating basis with co-workers.
Required Education: BS or MS Chemical Engineering preferred. BS/MS in Materials or Ceramic Engineering will also be considered. Prefer GPA > 3.0 from ABET-accredited or equivalent institution.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 3+ years experience in Manufacturing Environment.
- Strong data analysis and statistical skills. Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Access (queries, databases). Experience with statistical packages such as Minitab a plus.
- Experience with experimental design.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work on an independent basis in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively on all levels of an organization.
- Six Sigma Greenbelt or Blackbelt certification.
- Knowledge of manufacturing cost accounting.
- Project management experience.
- Ability to work within a team and provide training to others.
- Ability to allocate/supervise resources to accomplish goals.