Development Manager (closed)
Our client is a rapidly growing digital start-up and searching for a strong Development Manager, who will be charged with helping to build and lead a high-performance engineering team for a SaaS application using an Agile Scrum development methodology, with frequent deploys, and test driven development.
Candidates should have proven management experience but still be active programmers with code-review and prototyping level strengths in a modern scripting language (Ruby, Python,) Experience with MongoDB a plus.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
· Oversee the end-to-end software development organization including development, deployment and quality assurance.
· Ensure that software is as robust, rock-solid and as fast as possible
· Identify, assess and mitigate risk to the business
· Lead an organization of employees and a like number of consultants
· Establish technology standards and ensure compliance across all product lines
· Must be able to lead the development of systems that are “Always Up, Always Fast, and Never Fail”
· Ensure teams are using the appropriate tools and processes in the most effective manner
· Creating and managing the production of scorecards to be used to measure the effectiveness of the development organization
· Making process improvements as needed to assist the business in achieving its goals and objectives, leveraging best practices and professional experiences
· Collaborating closely with and assisting technical operations teams as required to ensure timely delivery of new systems, that are fast and robust
· Maintain broad strategic knowledge of the organization, initiatives, applications, systems, etc.
· At least 8 years of successful IT delivery experience, especially in large-scale, robust, fault-tolerant internet environments with at least 2 years of management experience.
· Experience in the following areas:
o Agile development methodologies
o Public facing web applications, ideally in a B2B environment.
o Scalable, robust, interrelated, high availability systems
o Agile development techniques such as BDD, Pair Programming, Refactoring, Continuous Integration, Iterative Development, etc.
· Proven software development capability including hands-on coding expertise
· Strong leadership and people management skills including demonstrated ability to coach and mentor employees
· Proven ability to work with the business and IT professionals in a dynamic, fast-paced start up environment
· Strong leadership skills and the ability to passionately create a shared vision for the delivery organization
· Ability to rapidly adapt to changing environments and technology
· Excellent problem solving skills with strong attention to detail
· Bachelors degree, or equivalent experience, required
· Advanced degree in computer science or related (or equivalent experience)