Senior SQL Server Database Engineer (closed)
PeopleCom’s client is a leading global provider of information management and electronic commerce systems for the financial services industry. They successfully drive innovations that transform experiences for more than 16,000 clients worldwide. Our client is committed to providing integrated technology and services solutions that enable best-in-class results for their clients.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior SQL Server Database Engineerprovides database administration and system support for existing production database environments to include performance of the following related tasks: software installation, patch installation, upgrades, query writing, configuration, database creation, security, system monitoring and tuning, disaster recovery planning, implementation and backup and recovery.
JOB DUTIES – INCLUDES PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES ONLY
- Lead efforts to guide team to best practices for database usage, high availability and business continuity.
- Create and support databases across internal and end-user applications.
- Analyze existing database applications to migrate into or improve the functioning on the platform.
- Maintain databases, including all production, backup and development files.
- Administer database security across all database environments.
- Provide guidance to other database administrators to expand the role and capabilities of the database environment.
- Prepare periodic reports regarding unit’s activities and goal attainment.
- Maintain a state-of-the-art knowledge of existing best practices in database administration.
- Mentor/train lower level database administrators.
- Coordinate larger-sized projects through assignment of tasks and managing the workload of staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent.
- Minimum 7 years of database related experience.
- Prior experience with the following is preferred: SQL Clustering, Strong Transact-SQL & MS Data Transformation Services (DTS) and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) knowledge, Replication, Performance Tuning, Backup and recovery methods, Log shipping, Database Mirroring, Database capacity planning, and Users and Role creation and monitoring.
- Experience in third party tools like Quest Software SQL LiteSpeed, Quest Software SpotLight, Quest Software Capacity Manager, and Log Explorer.
- Experience in SQL 2000/2005/2008 database management and related products from Microsoft including Windows 2003/2008R2 Server and desktop operating systems.
- MOM 2005 is a plus.
ESSENTIONAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work effectively across multiple business lines, external technology partners and fellow team members.
- Proven ability to manage projects.
- Excellent analytical and design skills at multiple product level.
- Excellent research, analysis, project planning and implementation skills.
- Aware of business issues as they impact overall project plans.