Design Engineer (closed)
This position is responsible for evaluating, consulting on, and executing the electrical technical designs of transformers. Position also includes providing technical expertise to customers both within and outside of the organization. The process requires the correct interpretation and application of customer requirements, industry standards, design and manufacturing standards to insure that designs meet our customer requirements at an optimum total cost and at an agreed upon level of performance and reliability.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews designs and evaluates for complexity, reliability, ease of manufacture, and profitability. Acts as technical advisor on electrical design characteristics with respect to producible manufacturing the most cost effective reliable designs.
- Acts as technical lead for assigned territory. This includes: design review, negotiating with customers on specification writing, technical support prior to the bid, at the bid stage, and at final execution stage.
- Coordinate and direct design projects
- Direct, review, and approve product design and changes
- Assesses bids/designs which are complex and deemed high risk and informs the organization of those risks, with recommendations.
- Develops and recommends solutions to complex designs in order to manage and control risks to an acceptable level.
- Trains and coaches electrical design engineers, mechanical engineers and sales staff in the proper use and application of design tools and processes and the correct interpretation of industry standards, design documents and tools.
- Reviews design results and provides consulting and feedback where necessary in order to effectively support marketing schedules and insure that designs meet performance and cost objectives.
- Correctly interprets the product scope and industry standards to insure proper application of the transformer products.
- Identifies and communicates product development needs to insure designs meet acceptable risks and provide solutions to design issues that support future growth.
- Remains current with industry and technical developments and maintains a high level of expertise in designated areas of specialization. When appropriate, participate in the development of industry standards through the various national and international standards groups.
- Schedules and reviews special design requirements with the organization. Resolve questions regarding quality, workmanship, the correct application of materials and processes raised during the bid, design and manufacturing of the product.
- Creates, reviews and maintains designated design, manufacturing and process related documentation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent process and problem solving skills
- Understanding of product design rules and philosophies
- Product application principles and understanding of specific application requirements
- Understanding of specific design processes, rationales and tools
- Current knowledge of related technology (e.g. - IS technology, heat transfer, magnetic, dielectrics, and materials.)
- Strong foundation in basic tenants of product technology, including mechanical design and product testing.
- Solid Business Acumen to create and implement programs that support business strategy
- Ability to guide & lead non-technical personnel to technical solutions
- Proven track record of meeting commitments with the highest standards of ethics and integrity
- An excellent team player with strong people skills; able to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Effective communication skills, including verbal (logical and organized), written, listening and presentation
- Computer skills: highly proficient in Microsoft applications: Power Point, Excel and Word
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education / Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering is required; Electrical Engineering preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in design of transformers.
- Product application principles and understanding of specific application requirements.
Preferred Education / Experience
- Analytical capacity for creative problem-solving, process design and product application, design and development
- Risk management and cost analysis
- Strong planning and scheduling skills
- Strong data collection and analysis skills