Membership Marketing Manager - AAMI - Arlington, VA (closed)
The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1967. It is a unique alliance of more than 6,500 members from around the world united by one critical mission: increasing the understanding and beneficial use of medical technology. AAMI members improve medical device safety through the development and use of AAMI standards, professional certification, education, summits and other technical resources. Industry, government agencies, healthcare organizations and others rely on AAMI to disseminate high quality, objective information that helps make technology use in the patient care environment safer and more effective.
In this newly created position, you will be responsible for managing marketing campaigns that increase our membership. We have already identified plans and goals for this year so you can hit the ground running. As you execute those plans and learn about us and our membership, we will be interested in your recommendations.
As the Membership Marketing Manager, you will take the lead on analyzing membership reports, identifying opportunities, crafting messages, repurposing existing materials, executing campaigns, and tracking results. Because we are a small team with a healthy membership marketing budget, you will be able to get approval quickly for your ideas, and have the resources you need to run with it. You will report to the VP of Membership and Operations and have the support of the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. When you need reports, you will be supported by the Director of IT, when you need graphic design, you will be supported by our graphic designer. You will have the internal resources and tools you need to be successful and the budget to utilize external resources when needed.
Goals for Your First Year as the Membership Marketing Manager
- We have a total membership of 6,500 across our membership categories. You will grow our membership in targeted membership categories, primarily in the student, new professional individual categories. We are currently in the 5th year of our new professional category campaign and will look to you to transition this membership group to individual members.
- In collaboration with the VP of Membership and Operations, you will identify marketing strategies for membership. We have identified goals for 2012 and will look to you manage and implement them and help develop plans and goals for 2013.
- You will develop different strategies and appeals for the membership categories. You will use reports to identify groups and opportunities, craft messages, identify the method of delivery, and track results.
Responsibilities of the Membership Marketing Manager
In this role, you will:
- Work with the Membership Marketing team to develop strategies to improve membership retention and stimulate membership growth.
- Develop and implement an annual membership marketing plan to grow all forms of AAMI membership. (e.g., institutional, corporate, individual, students, new professionals, societies, start-ups, and enterprise).
- Coordinate and implement all membership marketing recruitment campaigns (direct mail, e-mail, social media, etc.) to recruit new members by devising the strategy and writing the promotional copy and ensuring its delivery.
- Coordinate and implement all membership telemarketing campaigns with BrightKey’s marketing team to welcome new members and to increase membership renewal rates for lapsed members.
- Work with AAMI’s graphic designer, develop brochures, advertisements, and other promotional material to recruit new and retain existing AAMI members.
- With the VP of Membership and Operations, identify new groups of member prospects to target per AAMI’s strategic plan and implement strategies to attract the prospects to become AAMI members.
- Identify segments of AAMI’s current membership that are desirable to grow to ensure AAMI’s diversity, and implement steps to grow those segments of the membership.
- Manage day-to-day membership marketing efforts such as responding to inquiries from prospective members, assigning source coding for recruitment efforts, tracking and responding to prospects.
- Manage all cross-marketing campaigns to member prospects and nonmembers who have made purchases in the areas of AAMI product sales, registrations, career recruitment and services, online consultants’ directory, AAMI News subscriptions, and other non-dues purchases.
- Assist with database list selection and outside list purchasing for mailings, track, and update master membership marketing promotional schedule, and routinely update the schedule with campaign status and results to date.
- Manage membership market research, including assessment of market research needs, development, implementation, and evaluation of membership marketing and retention surveys, and recommend action plan based on findings.
- Review and compile results of monthly telemarketing campaigns. Track reasons for join and non-renewals, and prepare reports on the results of the monthly telemarketing campaigns for distribution to senior staff.
- Maintain a centralized filing structure of surveys, and conduct analysis that compares survey results.
- Track membership levels, marketing effectiveness, and member demographics.
- Evaluate pricing strategies for all individual categories of AAMI membership and in the marketplace, and recommend adjustments when desirable.
- Evaluate new forms of AAMI membership and recommend changes when desirable.
- Keep abreast of membership marketing trends and techniques in the association arena and implement effective techniques.
- Identify, develop, and implement mutually-beneficial collaborations with other organizations to promote AAMI membership.
- Coordinate a list of ongoing relationships and upcoming meetings to promote AAMI membership.
- Coordinate shipments of marketing material to external meetings.
- Work with AAMI’s graphic designer, designs and maintains a membership marketing booth for conferences.
- Represent AAMI from time to time at external meetings and events.
Essential Experience, Technical Skills, and Competencies of the Membership Marketing Manager
- Bachelor’s degree Business, Marketing, Communications, or other related field.
- 3–5 years of overall marketing experience.
- Experience with market research, the development, implementation and evaluation of marketing plans, direct marketing and customer service experience a plus.
- Experience in an association or non-profit desired.
- Superior writing and editing skills and the ability to demonstrate versatility in writing formats.
- Experience in creating and executing successful membership marketing campaigns.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Proven analytical skills. Able to take data and reports and produce meaningful campaigns.
Attributes of a Successful Membership Marketing Manager
- Results driven. You enjoy working with data and reports, analyzing information to identify target groups and take the action necessary to produce the desired results.
- Solid Execution. You have a keen grasp of the organizational mission and the big picture, as well as execute on the day to day deliverables. Quite simply, you do what it takes to get the job done.
- Skilled project manager. You have strong organizational skills and you know that deadlines need to be met, and you are effectively able to prioritize your work to make it happen.
- Creative. You have the clear creative vision teamed with the ability to develop strategic messaging.
- Organizational agility. You have a collaborative work style and are able work across departments to get the results and support you need while maintaining relationships.
- Service driven. You are member-focused and committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- AAMI has strong, stable leadership and is financially healthy. Our President genuinely cares about the people who work here, what we are doing, and the positive impact we are having by being the go-to resource for our members and customers.
- In this newly created position, the opportunity is wide open AND you have the support of a stable organization with resources. Here you can stretch your wings.
- AAMI was founded 45 years ago and has a very solid reputation throughout the national and international healthcare community.
- AAMI is a collaborative organization with a high degree of communication, trust and mutual respect among employees. Your work will be appreciated.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including health, dental and life insurance, long term and short term disability, 401(k), education reimbursement, 10 paid holidays, 2 weeks vacation the first year, and more.
To Apply for the Membership Marketing Manager:
The fastest way to apply for this position is to create a profile through the link at the top of this page.
If you prefer, simply email a Word version of your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “AAMI – Membership Marketing Manager/2012-1503” in the subject line of the email. You can also visit us online at www.staffingadvisors.com/jobs.