Charge Nurse - Med/Surg - Ortho (closed)
Under the general supervision of the unit Director or designee the Charge Nurse assumes responsibility for direction and coordination of all functions in the unit on his/her designated shifts. In collaboration with other members of the management team, this individual is responsible for the ongoing assessment of the quality of patient care services provided in unit. The Charge Nurse also provides feedback to the nursing director regarding patient care, budgetary, and strategic planning opportunities for improvement.
The unit handles Medical overflow of trauma patients and pediatric overflow. the Unit has 34 beds.
Core competencies will be assessed primarily on the following patient population(s): Morbid obese adult with all co-morbid illness/conditions, including but not limited to: cardiac, pulmonary, renal and metabolic. Orthopedic and spine surgeries including but not limited to joint replacement, spinal fusions, laminectomies, etc.
1. Demonstrates knowledge and application of the nursing process.
2. Monitor and recognizes changes in the patient's behavioral and physiological status; takes appropriate action based on assessment.
3. Utilizes professional skills and judgment in delivering and/or delegating care for a group of patients.
4. Provides leadership and direction to all disciplines assigned to the health care team.
5. Job specific competencies
6. Other duties assigned.
1. RN licensed in state of Texas/Compact state
3. Read and write basic English with the basic skills necessary to understand and transfer physician's orders
4. Ability to move in excess of 100 pounds, with staff assistance
1. Completion of RN program leading to licensure
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. One year experience in Med-Surg & 1 yr as charge, or 4 yrs experienceas Ortho RN (must have Ortho exp)
2. Certification in Med-Surg, Ortho
3. Computer skills
4. Strong problem solving skills