Data Centre Facilities Technician (closed)
Primus Canada has grown to more than 700 employees across Canada with offices in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Markham, Ottawa, London and Edmundston.
Our business is segmented in two areas:
•A Data Centre / Hosting business that highlights our growth momentum across eight state-of-the-art facilities throughout Canada, offering: co-location, managed services, and cloud platforms to medium and large enterprises.
•A Telecom focused business that leverages our years of experience and superior service through Primus Canada’s competitive suite of voice and data services for consumers and businesses
The Data Centre Facility Technician is responsible for the operation, monitoring, trouble shooting and basic maintenance of HVAC equipment and electrical systems located within our Internet Data Centers located across Canada. These facilities are comprised of computer room air conditioning equipment, UPS equipment, standby generators and associated switchgear and peripheral gear. In additional, the Data Center Facility Technician is responsible for embracing and maintaining the established rigorous internal controls designed to maintain our SAS70/CICA5970 and PCI compliance.
In this role you will also be required to perform regular walk-arounds of the facility to ensure that everything is functioning properly. This role is also responsible for the timely resolution of Collocation Client as well as internal trouble tickets. Data Centre Facility Technicians are also responsible for monitoring and analyzing Primus network and infrastructure alarms and escalating to appropriate teams if necessary.
- Quick and effective troubleshooting to diagnose mechanical and /or electrical systems failures and working with contractors to quickly resolve or mitigate interruption in services
- Perform basic preventative mechanical and/or electrical maintenance
- Systematically troubleshoot various facilities systems
- Complete maintenance of related electrical drawing documentation and projects
- Works directly with contractors until assignments are satisfactorily completed
- Liaise with Customer Implementation Specialist team for server collocation setups
- Liaise with Network Administrators and Managed system administration for all required internal Primus installs and on-going support
- Perform weekly generator testing.
- Coordinate all new device installations in server room
- Maintain adequate supply levels for Ethernet patch cables, power cables, KVM gear, etc
- Perform daily and weekly server room clean up
- Keep our internal WIKI documentation up to date as processes and systems change and improve
- Keep network diagrams for collocation and server room , physical layout, electrical and mechanical schematics up to date
- Perform weekly power system audits
- Perform emergency cabling and patch cables
- Assigning IP space and DNS setup for collocation clients
- Emergency on-call and shift work including midnights, weekends and on-call
- Perform emergency reboots on client collocation systems
- Maintain data center security
- Use IP Monitor software to maintain Primus and collocation client systems
- Performing Primus Canada and collocation client system backups and tape swaps
- Maintain security integrity at Primus based on security policies
- Ensure all health and safety guidelines are enforced by both internal and external visitors to the Data Centre
- Graduation from a trade school or apprenticeship in a mechanical/electrical trade or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of ISP experience
- Good understanding of Electrical and/or Mechanical systems
- General knowledge of electric systems and components
- Working knowledge of DVM’s and other associated electrical/mechanical measurement tools
- Basic understanding of IP networking
- Basic knowledge of Windows operating environment
- Basic knowledge of network wiring
- Comprehension of common predictive and preventative maintenance techniques
- Proven discretionary judgment with ability to resolve both routine and non routine issues.
- Attention to detail with an ability to follow through on project objectives.
- Proven communication skills and exceptional service attitude
- Ability to work in a team based environment with other facilities and technology professionals
- Demonstrated ability to handle a multi-tasking environment
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Ability to read and understand mechanical/electrical blueprints and single line diagrams
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Post Secondary education in Networking and/or equivalent.
- Project management experience (PMP), ITIL certification, mechanical/electrical service experience, building control systems, access control systems, CAD, Drafting experience are all considered valuable assets for this role.
- Working knowledge of pumps, compressors, boilers, chillers, facilities HVAC systems is necessary
- Working knowledge of UPS systems and associated switch gear
- Working knowledge of standby generator systems and associated switchgear
- Working knowledge of sprinkler systems/ fire alarms systems testing, building management systems)
- Shifts include emergency on-call and shift work including midnights, weekends and on-call.
The Next Steps…
All Interested candidates please apply and submit your resume via our corporate site: http://www.primustel.ca/en/about/career/career_network.html#_network_16-TOR
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in the workplace, are committed to Employment Equity and will provide reasonable workplace accommodation to applicants with disabilities. All interested individuals, including those who consider themselves to be aboriginal, visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies and/or telephone applications pleas.