Senior WiFi Engineer (closed)
Job title: Wireless Access Design & Delivery - Senior Wifi & Wireless Engineer
Organisation: Access Design, Group Technology
Reports to: Head of Mobile Wireless Access Design & Delivery
Location: HSQ, Dublin
The Design of Group Technology networks, platforms and solutions. This includes specification, RFPs to vendors, evaluation of vendor responses, migration plans, configuration data-build, capacity management and 3rd level design support throughout life cycle.
Nature and Scope
Technology solutions are critical to eircom’s performance. Design Engineers are central to the implementation and support of those solutions. The role purpose is the design, dimensioning, test specification, documentation and maintenance of new and amended networks, platforms and related systems. The design specifications will be carried out in accordance with agreed international standards, and strategic policies.
The quality, operational efficiency, usability and cost of ownership of the resulting solutions are key indicators of success.
Projects may involve the sourcing of solutions from third party suppliers.
It is important that design engineers continue to develop their skills, their understanding of best practice; and their knowledge of methods, technologies and products in the telecommunications industry.
- Development of migration plans to migrate customers, traffic and services from older platforms to replacement platforms (e.g. FWA to FCS, retirement of rural copper networks)
- Development of designs and configurations based on Strategies, Architectures and High Level Designs defined by CTO
- Plan and design end to end Radio solutions including Transport and Radio Access Network
- To prepare detailed specifications, estimates, designs, record structures, triggers, rules, interfaces, resilience and contingency plans, including externally sourced solutions.
- To develop relevant configurations, quality standards and acceptance criteria; to support required solutions, feature testing and FFI/FOAs
- To plan and design convergent RAN solutions to include 3G/wi-fi solutions
- To plan and design Public WIFI Networks
- To Plan and Design end to end Radio Access coverage solutions, to include Femto, Micro
- Act as the Design Authority for Indoor coverage scheme that support emobile for business
- Capacity Planning of key Wireless Access networks
- To design solutions ensuring the highest possible availability achievable within the budget.
- To ensure that the overall solution design meets best telecommunications technology practices
- Act as the overall day to day design authority for solutions delivered through our Mosaic partnership
- To identify radio network improvement/optimisation initiatives to be delivered through our Mosaic partnership
- To plan and manage the delivery of small or sub- projects in line with eircom standard project management guidelines
- To ensure agreement of the scope of requirements with all stakeholders
- To complete the design, lab testing and manage the execution of production tests in accordance with the test strategy
- To obtain vendor documentation and/or generate additional documentation required for operational maintenance.
- The provision of detailed, timely and accurate progress reports
- To ensure that the needs of end-users, eircom operational support and customer-care staff are addressed in detailed designs
- Foster a strong customer-service ethic in solution design and when planning for live cutovers and platform migrations
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to other areas of the company, including Regulatory, Finance, etc.
- The provision of third line design support to operational areas
- To Implement and ensure compliance with stated operational/maintenance and Change Management processes
- To lead improvements in solution development or support methodologies.
- To assist in the diagnosis of major design issues, and the design of solutions to overcome problems.
- The management of external parties to ensure delivery of contracted solutions to meet project deadlines.
- Management of technology inputs to RFQ, RFI and RFQ processes, and evaluation of responses.
- Interaction with vendors on development roadmaps and design support
- To support Procurement in Vendor Negotiations and QBRs
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety obligations
- Align with eircom Group culture and values to drive the customer ethos, vision, mission and culture of the organisation to ensure successful growth and retention of its customers
- Develop CAM and business case documentation
Key Performance Indicators
- Development time-scales achieved
- Costs within budget
- Progress reports are timely and accurate
- Support activity enables achievement of required service levels
- Successful delivery of projects, without slippages
- Favourable comparison with International bench-marks for network and solution performance, e.g. availability, fault-index etc.
- Positive feedback from internal customers, measured by internal customer survey or other means
- Delivery of new solutions for old technology
- Delivery of network quality improvement programmes
Terms of Appointment