Psychiatrist Opportunity in Columbia, MO w/Faculty Appt. - 49 Days Paid Time Off Annually! (closed)
Behavioral Health at the Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital is recruiting a generalist Psychiatrist who has experiencing working in both outpatient and inpatient settings. You will serve Veterans presenting with diverse psychiatrist needs, including geropsychiatry and treatment for PTSD, addictions/dual diagnosis, psychosis, and other forms of severe mental illness. You may also be asked to provide support for the teaching mission of our facility, by serving as a supervisor for Psychiatry residents from the University of Missouri.
- Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
- Call Schedule: Rotating call 1 in 9 amongst psychiatrists from Tuesday – Monday. Primarily telephone on evening work nights but will need to come in and round on IP unit on weekends
- Required certifications: Board eligible or board certified in Psychiatry, BLS
Routine procedures: Traditional IP/OP psychiatric practice with 12-bed IP psych unit (average census of 7-8). Common disorders include PTSD, mood disorders, SMI, substance abuse, etc
- #Clinic patients per day/week: Approximately 7 per day (1/2 hour per return visit; 1 hour per new patient visit). Typically OP clinics starts in early morning/late afternoon. As a rule, IP rounding and meetings are done in the morning
- Number of provider staff in the department: Approximately 68 direct care staff (78 total staff) to include 9 psychiatrists. Will work on multi-disciplinary teams with LCSW, Psychologists, mid-levels, nursing staff, etc
- Office Arrangement: Private office in clinic
- Special equipment available: Telemedicine
Whether you’re interested in academics, research, or a better work/life balance, you’ll find the VA has a lot to offer, including the unmatched satisfaction you’ll get from caring for those who have served our country.
In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan that includes:
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation – unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays with pay
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tier retirement plan composed of Social Security benefits, FERS basic benefits (pension), and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP)
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service
- For calendar year 2012, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $17,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $22,500
- The Federal Government also provides a basic contribution and matching contribution, depending on the amount of the employee contribution. For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
Truman VA in Columbia, Missouri, serves 44 counties in Missouri as well as Pike County, Illinois, and is one of seven medical center facilities in the VA Heartland Network, a Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN). Truman VA maintains strong affiliations with the University of Missouri’s School of Medicine, the Sinclair School of Nursing, the School of Health Professions and other health related programs and provides training opportunities for approximately 900 students each year.
- Total Operating Beds: 123
- Outpatient Visits: 398,419
- Unique Patients: 33,756
- Total Employees: 1,325
Truman VA provides a full continuum of care in both inpatient and outpatient settings and is committed to excellent patient care, education and research. The facility offers comprehensive care including primary care, medical and surgical specialties, behavioral health, physical and occupational therapy and pharmacy services. In addition, Truman VA is a referral center for heart care services including open heart surgery. The facility also offers additional services including audiology & speech pathology, social work services, dermatology, dental, neurology, oncology, orthopedic surgery, podiatry, prosthetics, urology and vision care.
- Home Based Primary Care
- OEF/OIF Seamless Transition Clinic
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention
- Support for Homeless Veterans
- Telepsychiatry Services
- Visual Impairment Services Team for Veterans
- Women Veterans Program
Columbia, home of the University of Missouri-Columbia, has an exciting and eclectic mix of unique restaurants, specialty stores, galleries, and coffee shops, along with a wide variety of festivals throughout the year.
Columbia is a great place to live for many reasons. We have an excellent school system, state-of-the-art healthcare facilities, entertainment opportunities galore, low cost of living, a clean environment and much, much more. The book 50 Fabulous Places to Raise Your Family has this to say: "Columbia is a fast-growing city, valued for its highly educated work force, low cost of living, favorable government attitude toward business, award-winning schools and nationally recognized quality of life."
Columbia's centralized location offers quick access to St. Louis and Kansas City, as well as the State Capitol, Jefferson City, and the beautiful vacation getaway, Lake of the Ozarks. Columbia is also minutes away from a host of historic towns and state parks featuring boating, fishing, hiking, biking and more.
In Columbia, you are never more than a few minutes away from one of the 13 major shopping areas including the region's largest mall and a Downtown area featuring restaurants and unique shopping experiences highlighted several times in Southern Living Magazine.
Abundant and affordable housing is also available in Columbia. If you are seeking majestic estates, a condo on the golf course or the traditional family neighborhood, Columbia has something to fit both your lifestyle and your pocketbook. Click here to connect with Chamber member real estate agents.
Whatever your reason for considering our city for relocation, we're sure you will find what you are looking for in Columbia, Missouri.
*Information borrowed from Columbia Chamber of Commerce