Technical Writer w/ Java (closed)
Staff Technical Writer, big data admin doc/videos/dev tutorials, must read Java, visa/relo ok, San Jose, CA (SDW-279)
Job Code: SDW-279
Cash/Prizes: Competitive salary, complete benefits, bonuses, and pre-IPO stock options
Audience: System administrators and developers implementing next-gen storage, search, and analysis technology
Location: All onsite in San Jose, CA; some flexibility possible later on
Relocation/Visa assistance: Yes, can sponsor a visa and/or relocate
Representation: Principals only, please
This promising open source 'big data' startup needs a staff Technical Writer with programming experience to create developer how-to tutorials, IT administration documentation, and possibly also videos, courseware, and technical marketing content.
If you can read and understand Java code, have programmed (even as a hobby), and can untangle complex technology for busy developers, you'll thrive in this role. You won't be writing API reference content; instead you'll get the more interesting task of helping programmers and system administrators actually get stuff done with Hadoop, the Apache open-source framework for big data.
The right cultural fit is an "assertive Swiss Army Knife" with the versatility, confidence, and technical credibility to earn the respect of the team. This is not the right role for timid types or one-trick ponies. But self-reliant, inquisitive, dependable performers with strong attention to detail will do well.
You'll work onsite in San Jose gathering information from local and remote SMEs, using the product, authoring in Confluence, producing videos with Camtasia, and creating illustrations with Photoshop. You'll join a team of two staff tech writers and also work closely with the Training team.
This is a staff/salaried, fully onsite job offering a competitive salary, full benefits, bonuses, and pre-IPO stock options. The company is willing to sponsor a visa for a non-national, and will relocate the right candidate to the Bay Area. Relocation assistance will be via a sign-on bonus (with one-year retention requirement) rather than pre-payment or reimbursement.
- At least two (2) years' experience creating original reference documentation for software developers and system administrators
- Ability to read Java code and edit it to demonstrate product features (not writing it from scratch)
- Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux
- Understanding of data storage concepts
- Familiarity with Confluence, Photoshop, and Camtasia (or similar tools)
- Sharable, relevant writing samples and reachable references
- Full-time availability
- Ability to work onsite in San Jose, CA (traveling at your own expense)
- Java programming experience (even just tinkering with source code)
- Demonstrated interest in creating videos
- Working knowledge of storage management and/or networked file system (NFS) technology
- Experience working at, or with 'big data' technology from, Hortonworks, Cloudera, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Twitter, eBay, or Splunk
Please visit contentrules.com/apply, citing "SDW-279" in the Job Code field.
Note: Content Rules has many content-development opportunities with SF Bay Area technology companies. Visit www.contentrules.com/jobs for details.