International Policy & Analysis Manager (closed)
The New York Office of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) currently has an opening for an International Policy & Analysis Manager. Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitors developments, issue papers, proposed standards and guidance under consideration by international financial standard setters and identifies issues relevant for the insurance sector and their regulators.
- Ensures information relating to the activities of the U.S. insurance sector and supervision of the insurance sector is accurately reflected in documents.
- Facilitates timely communications on international issues with NAIC members. Keeps members informed on developments, identifies and provides analyses to members on key issues, obtains members’ input on key decision points.
- Advances the US insurance regulatory perspective and NAIC members’ positions in international arenas.
- Provides technical expertise to IAIS projects and strengthens collaboration and cooperation with international insurance regulators.
- Analyzes systemic risk issues and financial market trends which impact the insurance sector.
- Responds to information and data requests from federal and foreign financial agencies and provides context, interpretation and education on the US regulatory framework.
- Coordinates closely with international and financial regulatory affairs staff in NAIC Washington, D.C. and Kansas City offices.
- Provides analytical support to the Senior Director on international and national developments with implications for US insurance regulation.
- Manages other team members and serves as a back-up to the Senior Director.
Education and/or experience required:
Degree in Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Accounting or Law and at least 10 years of experience in financial analysis, financial sector policy or law in insurance or other financial sector. Knowledge of insurance law and regulation, experience working with international financial regulators, knowledge or experience in more than one financial sector is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to provide an in-depth analysis of international and national proposals for policy measures and standards and ability to discern the implications for the regulation of US insurance firms.
- Requires strong financial analytical skills, attention to detail and ability to evaluate proposals in the context of state insurance regulatory paradigm.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and proactively engage with various divisions and staff of the NAIC in multiple locations and with regulators from state insurance departments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with foreign regulators and to build a consensus around the position of US regulators.
- Proficient in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to manage a small staff of financial/policy analysts.