JAVA - Contract to Hire (closed)
Our client seeking a Senior Software Developer to work in its Cambridge, MA location.
The Senior Software Developers primary responsibility is the development, testing and maintenance of database components within CSWs applications. The Developers activities include implementing new components or enhancing existing ones as needed by the business, verifying the correctness and reproducibility of output from these components, and analyzing and improving component performance as needed.
Types of Programming Languages: Oracle PL/SQL, Java, Python
Types of Operating Systems Used: Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, Windows XP/7, Oracle Solaris
Design, program, test, and maintain a variety of software components (current code base is primarily in PL/SQL and Java).
Exercise team-oriented development practices, including use of source code control system and clear documentation of code.
Collaborate with team members on activities including: business needs analysis, system specification, technical documentation, application development, and maintenance of legacy systems.
Contribute to development process improvement activities, including the evaluation and selection of development environments and tools.
Assist in the identification, evaluation, tailoring, and integration of third-party software packages.
Evaluate the performance of installed software by utilizing available aids to monitor trends, loads, and growth patterns.
Prepare documentation for use by computer operations, applications programming, and user personnel.
Provide technical assistance and information to other systems software, computer operations, applications programming, and data communications personnel at all centers with this environment.
Assist in the training of applications programming and user personnel in the use of systems and related hardware facilities.
Review new designs, enhancements and programs with systems analysts and applications programming personnel for operating efficiencies.
Complete other duties as assigned.
Education: A Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent education in a related discipline is required.
Job Related Experience: Typically requires 5 years of programming and /or analyst or related experience.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit at computer for extended periods of time. Ability to use computer keyboard and monitor for extended periods of time.
Functional Area Skills/Knowledge:
1. An excellent knowledge of general software development practices (i.e. program design, flowcharting, coding, testing, debugging, etc).
2. Significant knowledge of relational database design.
3. Strong background in Oracle database development technologies, including Oracle SQL and PL/SQL.
4. Additional programming experience in a variety of languages and environments. Knowledge of Java and/or Python especially desirable.
5. Some understanding of Web applications and standard Web-related technologies.
6. An excellent knowledge of how to document program design, coding, and maintenance.
7. Good oral and written communication skills, especially a demonstrated ability to clearly present software design concerns and decisions.
8. The ability to interact with external as well as internal clients for the purpose of data gathering and design initiation. At this level, the interaction may involve a great deal of writing. As a result, strong writing skills are required.
9. Proven ability to work effectively, staying focused on critical deliverables under limited supervision.
10. Excellent organizational skills, with attention to detail and an ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.