Senior Site Engineer (Civil / Highways / Roads) (closed)
Senior Site Engineer
WPR is exclusively seeking to recruit a Senior Engineer to join our Client and are interested in receiving applications from high calibre candidates with an impressive background in Civil Engineering projects, looking for an opportunity to take their career to the next level with a leading name in the Northern Ireland Construction Industry.
Job Title: Civil Engineering Project Manager / Senior Engineer
Reporting To: Contracts Manager
To provide efficient and effective professional management of civil engineering & highway maintenance projects, including maintaining good relationships with clients, project commercial control, management of site resources and ensuring Health, Safety, Quality and environmental targets are achieved.
(The following reflect the main tasks associated with your position and are not intended to exclusive or exhaustive):
- Close involvement with the management team; providing technical input, co-ordination, client co-ordination and assisting in the tender process.
- Responsible for personnel resources, including site employees and sub-contractors. Effectively manage the site team in the effective use of such resources.
- Ensure that the key roles are staffed with people who can effectively undertake their roles in the daily function of the business, that their roles are clearly defined and understood and that all personnel are motivated and managed to achieve the business's objectives.
- Through an effective leadership style, ensure that all functions within the project are managed and operating to agreed objectives and targets, leading to completion of work to schedule and profitability.
- Manage the materials used throughout the project, ensuring that due care is given to current and anticipated stocks, and that these are ordered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure that good relations with suppliers are established and maintained so that the most favourable deals are facilitated for the benefit of both the business and the supplier.
- Liaise with the client on site and represent the company at progress meetings, in order to provide a customer/client focused approach to the project, and in the resolving of operational issues. Client negotiation from inception to final account.
- Portray a professional image to all external bodies, in the management of the contract/project.
- Responsible for all contractual, commercial and other on-site administration, keeping accurate records of all stages of the contract/project.
- Compliance with Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental requirements, and ensuring that policy and procedures are implemented and maintained throughout the operations under your responsibility.
- Compliance with all HR management practices for Statutory and Company purposes.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as required by this function.
- Close working relationship with the Contracts Manager providing formal operational and commercial reports to the required format and standard.
- Senior QS/QS on issues of budgets, appointments and contractual compliance.
- Estimating department on providing technical and commercial support.
- Accurate and timely processing of information required by the finance department.
- Inter-departmental relationships within the company, including Health and Safety, Quality and Human Resources providing all necessary returns to the required standard and established deadlines.
- Develop relationships with contractors, subcontractors, suppliers etc in order to assess and retain for present and future work.
- Developing and maintaining Client relationships, providing all necessary updates on progress, planning and sequencing of work.
- Third level qualification in Civil Engineering or a related discipline (Minimum of HND or equivalent standard).
- Membership of one or more associated professional institutes would be advantageous.
- Previous experience at Project Management / Senior Engineer level managing a diverse range of civil engineering / highways projects with core project values ranging between £500K to £10M.
- Experience in directly managing Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental processes within a civil engineering / highways project.
- Strong team building and leadership skills.
- Commercial awareness, including knowledge of Forms of Construction Contracts, Methods of Measurement and Specifications.
- The ability to constructively solve problems both short-term and long-term in a site environment and capacity to produce and update Construction Programmes in electronic format.
- Personal stamina to drive the contract through effective management of the available resources to meet operational and commercial targets.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, providing relevant reports.
- Effectively managing workforce issues and developing a team environment.
- Accurate and timely delivery of the project on schedule and within budget, and ensure project performance targets are achieved.
- An ability to manage autonomously, taking the right decision, however knowing how to utilise the relationships with the rest of the management team to assist in the decision making process.
- Self-motivated - importance of work in attaining personal satisfaction.
- Leadership skills - develop teamwork and maximise abilities, and also have an acceptance among workforce to allow approachability.
- Planning and organising - establish efficiently appropriate course of action for self and others to achieve a goal
- Adaptable - remains effective in changing environments, situations and problems.
- Tenacity - ability to stay with problem or line of thought until matter is settled
- Acceptability - nonabrasive style to colleagues and customers
- Interpersonal skills - awareness of other people and environment and own impact on these.
- Problem Analysis - ability to identify and solve problems, and to be able to seek assistance when required.
- Critical Thinking - ability to make informed judgements and decisions and convey these to the team. Draw sound inferences from facts, recognise assumptions and reason logically.
- Initiative - ability to see outside the box and deliver practical and innovative solutions to operations. Originates actions and ideas.
If you are interested in taking your career to the next level with a market leading Contractor, please forward your CV using the link below or call us on 028 90 312009 for a confidential discussion.
Please note that WPR is acting as an agency on behalf of our client.