Application Engineer - Thermoplastic Composites (closed)
Application Engineer - Thermoplastics Composites
Location: Granville, OH
The Thermoplastic Composites Application Engineer has the accountability for leading testing, programs, and projects in the field of thermoplastic composites. This role interacts with key players in the market to translate customer needs and identify opportunities to grow the use of composites and reinforcement solutions.
The Application Development Engineer works closely with Marketing, Science and Technology, Manufacturing and Sourcing organizations internally and builds relationships with universities and other organizations/labs in the market. Additionally, the incumbent will be expected to partner with other material suppliers (resin, compounder, etc) and manufacturers on innovative programs to overall grow the composite applications.
A background and experience in thermoplastic materials and polymers as well as their processing is needed. Frequent customer visits will be required to complete the commercialization of new applications.
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Implements a personal safety action plan and review with leader.
- Participates in regular safety meetings participate in safety inspections and demonstrate safe working habits
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies.
2. Understand and satisfy customer needs, mainly in the field of the transportation markets
- Continuously build knowledge of key customers, their business, products, technologies, applications, competitors, codes & standards, etc. - what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the value that our current and future products deliver to the customer in solving their problems.
- Document and communicate customer specifications and Fitness for Use criteria with input and direction from the Technical Marketing Program Manager and Market Manager.
- Provide new solutions and technical expertise to help our customers take cost out or develop their business
- Develop new solutions
- Translate customers FFU into solutions, specifications and procedures
- Understand competitive threats through active collection and analysis of competitive products
- Implement appropriate testing/standards to meet quality and consistency requirements of our customers
- Develop and transfer new product & control plans to OC plants
- Work with Product Stewardship team to identify and address issues
4. Execute project leadership on programs
- Lead projects from concept through to commercialization, ensuring consistent alignment with the business strategy throughout the project.
- Drive the activities through the innovation process within CSB (stage gate process).
- Provide innovative solutions and solve problems through engineering and scientific fundamentals.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically lead the development of solutions.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements:
- Bachelors degree required; MS or PhD in Scientific or Chemical Engineering Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 3/5 years experience on thermoplastic materials and polymers and their processing ( lamination , injection molding , compression molding , filament winding , pultrusion , … )
- Demonstrated project management effectiveness in R&D environments.
- Some experience with composite in the automotive markets (OEMs or Tier 1) would be a plus
- Execution of the Stage Gate Process
- Leading and implementing application development with target customers.
- Understanding of composite processing methods and associated cost modeling.
- Ability to set-up & maintain a network of partners with expertise centers / laboratories / universities
- Close working relationship with Marketing and New Business Development Leaders.
- Travel up to 50% of working time
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) is a leading global producer of residential and commercial building materials, glass-fiber reinforcements and engineered materials for composite systems. A Fortune® 500 Company for 58 consecutive years, Owens Corning is committed to driving sustainability by delivering solutions, transforming markets and enhancing lives. Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology with sales of $5.3 billion in 2011 and about 15,000 employees in 28 countries on five continents. Additional information is available at www.owenscorning.com.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD APPLY ONLINE: (please copy and paste URL into your internet browser)