Senior Food Ingredient Sales Manager (closed)
POSITION: Senior Account Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales
Home office based
Territory: KY, TN, AR, LA,MS
Reporting to the Director of Sales, the Senior Account Manager will be an intricate part of the commercial management team. This individual will be responsible for developing and delivering sales activities for specific accounts. In addition to maintaining existing business with clients, this person will develop new flavor sales within those accounts and at new accounts in cooperation with the Director of Sales. Accounts assigned for this position will have large volume sales potential and will require travel to more than one location for the assigned accounts. This individual will develop, implement and manage account specific strategies, which will achieve necessary sales goals with the respective customer. Furthermore, this individual will coordinate creative projects as well as interface with key customer decision makers on a regular basis. A significant piece of this position will be dedicated to building new business relationships with the current core of clients of the company and with developing new business opportunities with assigned specific accounts. Therefore, an important part of this position will be coordinating with other sales personnel throughout the organization, and their managers, who may have contact and/or sales opportunities within the key account or accounts that this executive will be responsible for. This position is more about business process and engaging/partnering with specific customers then any individual sale. It is about how the company can bring added value to the customer and to leverage this relationship to its fullest potential. As part of achieving this goal, the selected candidate will deliver accurate sales forecasts on a periodic basis and establish and manage financials for their business. There will be continual interface between this individual, their supervisor and other members of the sales, technical service and creative teams who need to be kept informed of pertinent sales activities and issues. Therefore, this person is expected to be a key player on the company team and to be proactive in their thought process and leadership. There will be significant interaction with other key executives in the organization to properly leverage resources in the complex execution of sales programs. This will include cross company initiatives in conjunction with marketing, technology, product development, manufacturing and distribution.
Essential to the success of this position is an individual with the ability, drive, energy and presence to accomplish key sales objectives. This position is critical to the success and growth of the company. Building partnerships within the organization is a necessary component of this job. The creation of value added programs for the customer that is easy to administer and customer friendly will allow for high levels of efficiency and quality leading to corporate goals of growth and bottom line improvement.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE PROVIDING LEADERSHIP OR STEWARDSHIP OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Effectively position the company to provide a strategy for performance to its customers. The vision is to be the customer’s most valuable resource and the delivery of products for taste. The implementation of the company vision will meet the current and future needs of customers. This will include the ability to develop and execute specific strategy along with positioning the company as the supplier of choice to the customer. The focus will be account specific.
- Manage primary relationships with customers’ purchasing, research and product development organizations. Develop and manage relationships with top management of selective major customers. Interface with primary technical contacts in order to solicit new business and to participate actively on long-term projects.
- State clearly and specifically the mission of the company, determine what the issues are effecting the customer and develop strategies to effectively deal with these issues. Develop and execute programs that will be widely respected as well as accepted by the customer base that will result in the acquisition, development and retention of business. This will enhance company brand equity, recognition and value.
- Forecast products coming on stream. Work with the technical staff to develop presentations to demonstrate capabilities and build image. Develop timely marketing reports in conjunction with these activities.
- Analyze, evaluate and compare company product lines with those in competitive organizations and recommend strategies, which will minimize the effect of the competition on sales while enhancing sales for the company.
- Meet and confer with the Director of Sales, Food and Beverage, and other key members of the company staff to review achievements and discuss required changes to goals and objectives.
- Work closely with customers to develop a relationship that will allow for long term partnering, bring added value to the customers and increase the presence of the company at customer locations.
- Effectively manage internal working relationships.
- Take responsibility for the analysis of the customer and/or business segment in order to spot trends, resolve problems and to correct any procedural errors being made.
- Carefully examine areas that will lead to expanded sales and profitability and determine courses of action to be taken to capture these areas.
- Effectively develop strategic alliances with customers to keep the company “the vendor of choice” for flavor products. Will be strategic in looking at future opportunities which will enhance both top and bottom line results. Will meet with customers on a regular basis to discuss new programs that will bring added value to them.
- Recognize opportunities for growth and implement strategies that will enhance customer satisfaction, sales, market share and profitability.
A minimum of 7 years of successful business and sales experience, preferably in the flavor, fragrances, ingredients or fine chemicals industries. This individual will be a sales executive who will successfully work with clients to be bring added value to their business, will have a comprehensive understanding of their business and will have the ability to manage significant business opportunities as well as major business initiatives to retain and grow the company’s position as the leader in its field. This position will require analysis of internal and external data with regard to sales, cost, markets, new business development and customers. It will further require gathering and filtering competitive intelligence to the advantage of the company. This candidate will have had experience in reviewing complex data to create business strategies. A solid understanding of business and financial issues related to a sales organization with a strong customer service/product quality environment is necessary. This individual must be able to communicate clearly and effectively and to work with employees across functional lines. This individual will have managed others and/or works with others on a dotted line basis to affectively enhance opportunity with specific accounts. This person will have worked independently, as well as part of a directed team effort, and will have come from an environment that enables them to work closely with peers and superiors on a regular basis. They will be able to take action on critical matters quickly and effectively, as required, to satisfy the needs of the customer and therefore the company.
An undergraduate degree is mandatory. Technical degrees are preferred as is an MBA or related advanced degree.