Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; at least 5+ years of experience in a network engineering role; Maximizes automation of routine tasks via Visual Basic and Powershell scripting; general knowledge of TCP/IP routing protocols (OSPF, BGP4); Cisco IOS switch programming; Fortinet Alto firewall programming. This position requires the ability to lift up to fifty pounds and to install equipment at any position in standard 7-foot rack. Occasional travel is required.
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of the Firm’s IT systems investments.
Strategy & Planning
- · Collaborate with network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- · Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
- · Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- · Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- · Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmer and development teams.
- · Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the firm’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- · Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- · Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- · Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- · Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- · Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- · Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- · Provide orientation and training to end users for all modified and new systems.
The Network Engineer is responsible for the operation, monitoring, and maintenance of the Firm’s MS Windows based server environment, including the installation, configuration, and maintenance of servers and other systems critical to their operation. The environment will be undergoing a transformation from physical to virtualized however this role will primarily be focused on the management of the server, network, security and team associated with supporting a multi office MS Windows technology enterprise.
Responsibilities include operating a server and desktop environment hosted on VMware which is managed by the Senior Virtualization Engineer, which includes installation, configuration, and VM (server and desktop) creation; managing AD, DHCP, DNS and TCP/IP; providing technical support and troubleshooting of firmwide systems and applications; and providing guidance and support for new applications and servers.
Position is also responsible for all communications technologies such as the Firm’s wide area and local area networks, electronic messaging systems and voice systems. This includes all aspects of routine and lifecycle management. Position is also responsible for all server data backup and restores operations and work in conjunction with the Senior Virtualization Engineer for BC/DR operations.
Requires extensive knowledge and experience regarding the troubleshooting installation, upgrade and lifecycle management of Intel based hardware as well as knowledge regarding installation, configuration and security patching and troubleshooting of MS Windows Server OS.
Candidate should have knowledge of Active Directory (setup, security, replication, and troubleshooting), DNS, WINS, and DHCP (setup, replication, and troubleshooting) and the NTFS file system (migration, expansion, and user rights assignments), as well as knowledge of the setup of Windows printer servers (queue adds, moves, and changes). A basic knowledge of TCP/IP (v4), general knowledge of WANs and their impact upon applications is required. Experience using project management to manage projects and lifecycle management is required.
- · University degree or combination of education and experience.
- · Excellent customer service and support skills; approachable demeanor; comfortable interacting with Firm stakeholders and senior client technology personnel
- · Advanced analytical mind packaged in an approachable and engaging personality
- · Strong sense of accountability; takes ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolves issues proactively.
- · Values teamwork over individual success; thoroughly enjoy mentoring others to grow peer and subordinate skill sets
- · Strategic planner that delivers operational excellence
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with Windows 2008 Server, Active Directory and PowerShell
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with the design of MS SCCM, package application technologies, etc. and leverages automation to support server and desktop environment patching and maintenance
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with the design of network technologies, including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, etc. and their lifecycle management
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with the design of enterprise firewalls and other associated security technologies and their lifecycle management
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with the design enterprise VOIP solutions and their lifecycle management
- · Expert level knowledge and experience with lifecycle management of an enterprise class data center
- · Values change management processes
- · Values automation of routine tasks via scripting
- · Excellent documentation skills required
- · Excellent communication and inter-personal skills with a team orientation.