Principal Software Engineer
Provide technical leadership and direction in the use of technology and the definition of architectural approaches applied within Allscripts’ software solutions to meet the company and customer’s long-term requirements.
Specifically, the Principal Software Engineer will be reporting to Director, Development for RCM solutions.
• Design, Coding, Testing, Documentation in the areas of Development and Maintenance.
• Ownership of assigned software and non-software deliverables.
• Liaison with Business Analysts and/or internal / external customers to ensure that requirements are
• Production of accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications to the required level of detail in the timelines as defined by the PM.
• Production, preparation and execution of unit test plans
• Production of efficient and fully documented code.
• Production of supporting technical and installation documentation for internal and external publication.
• Achievement of agreed productivity targets in order to ensure developments are delivered within
budget, to schedule and to defined quality standards.
• Completion of all necessary software and non-software components in the timelines as defined by the Project Manager.
• Use knowledge of industry changes in technology standards, information management,
development standards, methods and emerging 3rd party software in order to advise on technology
and leverage industry best practice in the design and construction of the product (This makes this one overlap with some architecture responsibilities, as per the P5 description).
Quality and adherence to Standards
• Tech Specs, Code and/or Unit Test Plans produced are all in line with the Traceability
• Ensure all work is reviewed to ensure adherence to the relevant development standards.
• Peer review and sign-off of others work.
• Timely and accurate reporting of project status as required by Line or Project Manager.
• Production and revision of accurate detailed estimates.
• Escalate product issues and suggest product improvements.
• Escalate all issues in a timely fashion.
• Mentor junior team members in best practices and standards.
• Research and propose relevant emerging technologies to develop technical edge for the product (makes this overlap with some Architecture type responsibilities as per ‘P5’).
Defines the degree of expertise that is required for each competency to be successful in the role.
Guru - highest level of expertise acquired through exposure to emerging advancements or
complex business situations and is seen as innovative in this competency.
Expert - possesses the strongest of skills acquired through advanced training, study and experience and
uses this competency in a highly confident way.
Rev 031011 Page 2 of 3
Senior - practical understanding of this competency.
Entry - basic awareness of the field or competency used under guidance of manager.
Competency Title Competency Description Competency Level
Analytical Ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic sequential approach
Market Awareness Knowledge of processes, needs and requirements and how
they are/would be best met with Allscripts products or new technology
Customer focus (internally/externally)
Capacity to anticipate customers’ needs and place
customers at the center of own thinking and actions
Allscripts product knowledge Technical and functional understanding of Allscripts’ line of
products and services offerings. Knowledge of relevant industry practices and compliance.
Objection handling Identifies issues and disagreements, brings it out, takes
positive steps to solve it to facilitate collaborative resolution and strengthen working relationships.
Problem Solving Understands needs and expectations, evaluate information,
use experience in forming opinions, evaluate the benefits of
alternative solutions and their impact to determine the most
appropriate course of actions to achieve goals.
Process Improvement Use of a systematic approach for evaluating current business processes and developing and implementing integrated solutions maximizes customer satisfaction and delivers bottom line results.
Strategic Thinking /
Able to see the bigger picture and have a long term vision. Able to anticipate long term future customer needs and changes.
Time Management Ability to meet deadlines by recognizing best use of time
and working with end results very clearly in mind
Training Skills Knowledge of training methods and learning principles to design on the job development plans, to facilitate learning,
and evaluate result.
Verbal communication Ability to translate ideas, thoughts, feelings into speech that is appropriate and understood by the audience; is
professional and courteous.
Working under pressure Being able to manage own behavior and control emotions,
think clearly and remain positive when faced with negative responses, actions or difficult situations.
Written communication Being able to create written materials with objectivity,
conciseness and clarity and medium of communication
tailored for delivery and targeted audience. This may apply to a variety of mediums e.g. report writing, business planning, policy writing etc.
Development Specific Competencies
Architecture Provide the vision for new systems as well as how existing systems evolve. Is aware of the industry leading best practices and help the team’s keep abreast of the same.
Consider competing priorities and propose alternate solutions, test and quality plan based on business and technical requirements.
Design Able to define and design a system / test approach to satisfy specified requirements. Is able conduct analysis to evaluate how current systems are used. Analyze and/ or create system design based Architecture by evaluating
multiple architectures before one is selected. Knowledge of UML and OOAD.
PDLC Awareness Possesses and exercises strong knowledge of successive
stages of product development, planning tools and
Able to understand and implement
testing processes accordingly. Technical Expertise Exhibits and maintains current technical knowledge, skills, and abilities to produce timely and quality work with the
appropriate level of supervision. Makes prompt, technically sound decisions and recommendations that add value to mission priorities and needs. In the domain of performance testing and consultancy, expertise in use of performance
test tools and knowledge of system architecture stacks, database design, etc. will be critical. For appropriate career paths, seeks and accepts developmental and / or special assignments. Adaptive to technological / market changes.
Process Awareness Knows, understands and adheres to processes and policies defined by Allscripts; facilitates and ensures adherence to policies by team.
Academic and professional qualifications
• Successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or relevant Technical / Business experience
• Typically 14+ years experience.
• Very little or no travel is required in this role
• Monday through Friday or as defined by local requirements