Global Supplier Manager - Houston, TX (closed)
Within Shell Projects & Technology, our Contracting & Procurement (C&P) organisation is responsible for procuring non-hydrocarbon goods and services from third parties on behalf of our Downstream businesses. Our procurement activities range from major equipment for refineries to confectionery for our retail stations. C&P works in partnership with each business to consolidate our spend and manage supplier relationships to enhance our purchasing power to deliver significant financial benefits. And our assertive sourcing strategies serve to continually optimise market opportunities.
At Shell our commitment is to satisfy the world’s need for energy with economically, socially and environmentally responsible solutions. We seek a high standard of performance, and understand that great ideas can change the world. If you want to work with a group of creative, ambitious and innovative professionals then you should consider Shell. We will provide you with the resources to put your ideas into action, worldwide opportunities to advance your career, and outstanding benefits and rewards that support your quality of life. Join us and let’s make a real difference together.
The purpose of this job is to maximize the value to the Shell Group via end-to-end management of key supplier relationships. This is accomplished by driving alignment and orchestrating all strategic and commercial interactions with these suppliers to discover and materialize additional value opportunities with the relevant internal stakeholders.
In this role, your key responsibilities are to define the global supplier management strategy for a portfolio of 1-3 cross-enterprise suppliers within a function, and lead, explore and realize commercial opportunities with these suppliers. You will orchestrate and lead all strategic interactions between Shell and these suppliers and manage the web of internal stakeholders and suppliers within your supplier portfolio to ensure effective operation of Supplier Management within the portfolio. You will also orchestrate between Shell internal stakeholders to ensure a "single voice of Shell" towards the key suppliers within the portfolio and work closely with internal stakeholders to materialize these additional value opportunities.
Indirect benefits to Shell can be expected from more effective leveraging of our reputation and enterprise-wide spend in e.g. the following areas: (1) demanding collaboration in specific R&D areas and product innovation, (2) product- and services standardization, (3) development of first-mover competitive advantage, (4) pro-active resolution of delivery issues.
Special challenges in this role include:
- Engaging and influencing key stakeholders in across the Shell enterprise for interactions with the suppliers within the portfolio, without having organizational control over these stakeholders
- Influencing key stakeholders in technical-, project-, operational-, C&P-, finance- and legal/IP disciplines against a backdrop of often competing priorities between businesses, regions and projects
- Engaging and influencing the key stakeholders within the portfolio of suppliers and within the category at all management levels (from CEO down). Ability to listen and diagnose business opportunities in close collaboration with suppliers and Shell stakeholders.
- Aspiration and ability to become a commercial leader in Shell. Candidates from variety of backgrounds are welcome (technical, operational, CP, legal, commercial), and prefer at least 5 years of working experience in the IT discipline
- 10 years experience in consultative selling and account or alliance management required
- Ability to influence a web of stakeholders within the function, the suppliers and within the respective Shell business
- Executive presence and experience of high level, collaborative relationship building with both senior management and senior level staff
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Proven facilitation expertise
- Experience in working and leading in a global environment
- Proven experience in managing a virtual team through influence
- Proven track record in strategic thinking to leverage opportunities within a rapidly changing business climate
Please apply to the following link and not through Bull Horn Reach
Application Deadline: Saturday 09 June 2012
Number of Vacancies: 1
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.