Join the #1 brand and top Web property focused on answering people’s questions. At Ask.com, we’re building a next-generation Q&A service – spanning both the Web and mobile devices -- that combines the power of search with insight from real users. Our proprietary algorithms crawl the web for question and answer pairs (400 million and growing), fueling one of the biggest Q&A databases on the Web. This unique technology, combined with answers from real users in our community, makes Ask.com the most comprehensive Q&A service around. At Ask, we empower each individual to succeed, communicate their ideas, and take action. When you work here, you know your contributions will have a direct and immediate impact on the company. We are serious about creating and maintaining a company culture that is both innovative and fun, and we’re looking for great people to come join our team.
The SEM Software Engineer will be responsible for the evolution and seamless operation and of the internal applications and systems that power the Ask SEM portfolio scaling and management infrastructure. As a quasi start-up within the larger organization we have our own servers, process and tools. While we have the benefits and security of an established company we have none of the red tape that usually accompanies them. You’ll be helping us take our systems to the next level and ensuring we can continue to grow revenue and profit for the business. Your goal is to continually improve tools and infrastructure to help our business team maximum productivity, minimize system downtime, and quickly respond to the changing needs of the business. As a member of a small team you’ll be required to wear many hats and help with development, QA, and operations. The ideal candidate thinks quickly, is a wizard with Java, Tomcat, MySQL and EC2, excited to directly contribute to profit and take on many roles. This is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to new areas of the business and technology world.
· End to End development - work to design, develop, test, and deploy new features and updates to the application suite.
· Participate in requirements gathering sessions, design reviews, and code reviews Ensure project timelines are met with high quality deliverables Leverage Java, J2EE, Tomcat, etc., to build and maintain highly scalable, highly available, modular code Fully document your code Help architect the next generation of servers and systems to scale with business requirements.
· Operations Support and Adhoc QA as needed to troubleshoot existing systems and/or test new ones.
· Work with the SEM technical team to initiate and spec new features for the Ask SEM automated platform to improve data capture and monitoring.
· Constantly refining tools and practices to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness of operations Participate in on call rotation
· BA/BS in Computer Science or a related field.
· Ability to rapidly assimilate existing systems and business concepts.
· Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices .
· Experience with SQL, MySQL Databases, JDBC and Hibernate.
· Experience with Struts 2 and/or Spring.
· Experience with Web Services/Axis and/or Google, Yahoo and MSN Search Engine Marketing APIs.
· Experience with JQuery and/or Dojo a plus.
· Experience with concurrent programming.
· Experience with cloud hosting on Amazon EC2 - Understand AMIs, ELBs, & SimpleDB Solid understanding of core networking infrastructure and stack including DNS, firewalls, load-balancers, security and TCP/IP stack.
· Perl, Shell Scripting and Ubuntu 10 or similar.
· Hadoop & Map/Reduce
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong problem solving, time-management, and project-management skills.
· Extremely analytical, detail oriented, and organized, with the ability to consistently multitask.
Location: Downtown Oakland, CA (near the 12th Street BART Station)