Senior Systems Engineer - Radio (closed)
Senior Systems Engineer - Radio
- Leadership role in system engineering
- Mix of technical and commercial work
- A real place to work, grow and enjoy what you do
At Tait, our very talented engineers have a strong history of designing world leading radio communications systems for our customers. This role is an opportunity to join us in a role where you will bring new skills and experience to the team whilst designing communications systems that matter in the real world.
How do you know if you have the right mind set to get the best from this role?
The first thing you will want to do is read the whole of this (quite long) job ad to understand what the customer really wants. You will then have a natural inclination to want to find out more about the role and importantly about the company and, if you are from out of town, you will want to know about life in Christchurch. It is very likely that you will search linked-in for people you may know at Tait to get first hand experiences of what makes being part of Tait so appealing.
And - If you are that sort of person with the experience listed below – we want to help you grow your career experiences at Tait.
To help you get started here is the link to the careers section of the Tait web site http://www.taitradio.com/careers/jobs/new-zealand
What is the role?
As a Systems Engineer at Tait, you are pretty worldly-wise and have had your fingers in every facet of the radio system engineering process.
You will lead (technically) the team (who are a great crew to work with) and be able to overview the whole thing, making sure it ties together nicely and is working and compatible. Along the way, you will be able to do a bit of everything, including implementing best practice.
The skills and experience you already have are:
- Excellent working knowledge of the radio systems engineering process (the bigger picture)
- Have a good understanding and be confident with wireless communication protocols
- Technical leadership
What will you get out of it?
You will get to lead and inspire a small team of very talented people, as well as learn in a very collaborative environment. We rate the people care aspect of the role highly here at Tait.
You will get to support innovative projects to genuinely interesting ‘real world’ customers. This will include the likes of New Zealand Police, Australian Country Fire association, Sao Paulo Military Police, Petrobras Brazil, London Bus, Dublin Bus, Black Hills Power USA, Basin Electric Power Cooperative USA, to name just a few (Tait products end up in diverse environments so we provide some fairly interesting solutions).
You will be empowered and supported to manage and make decisions (we believe that if you have the savvy to know what to do you should be enabled to do it).
What will you be doing on a daily basis?
Because this role includes a bit of hands-on as well as leading the team, the following is an idea of some of things you can expect to be involved in each day:-
- You will get to take ownership of all of the systems engineering aspects of the product development in progress (so you can get your head around the entire project) and directly contribute and be involved in the design yourself
- You will manage and contribute to the planning and execution of system integration phases, internal field trials and customer field trials during the product development (our customers will love what you are doing for them)
- During the development phase, you will continually keep an eye on the system design parameters and product KPI’s, making sure everything is on track.
What does all this boil down to?
A Tait system engineer is experienced in:
- Engaging with customers and converting their needs into product architecture/specification
- Interacting with diverse stakeholders within the company
- Trade off studies
- Technical leadership of a development team without line management authority
- Bringing the subsystems together, resulting in a quality product
- More than one radio sub system
- Effective meetings with outcomes
- Coaching in systems engineering process and principles.
Tait is a well know brand globally (check out taitradio.com for more detail) and our focus is on public safety and utilities applications. We make sure that the Victoria fire department has a wireless communication network that is robust enough to keep their fire-fighters informed and safe. We provide solutions for electrical utilities companies that help them keep the power on. We create systems that monitor the location and performance of public transport systems (our systems will keep London Busses operating effectively during the 2012 Olympics). In short, we develop communications solutions that are used at the sharp end (mission critical) around the world.
For more information on career opportunities with Tait Radio Communications or to Apply on line today with your CV and cover letter please click on the Apply button.
Message for Recruitment Agencies: Agency applications are welcomed for this role. To discuss submitting candidates for this or any other role advertised by Manpower Professional on behalf of Tait Radio Communications, please contact Rusty Mackay on 03 357 3176 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org