Cytogenetics Technologist (closed)
The Department of Clinical Laboratory is a full-service laboratory operating 24 hours a day. The staff performs millions of procedures annually, using some of the most cutting-edge technology and techniques available. In addition to being the best place to work, the hospital offers very competitive wages and an outstanding benefit package.
We currently have an opening for a Cytogenetic Technologist.
* Identify appropriate specimens for analysis and communicate proper methods of collection, preservation and transportation of specimens.
* Perform all computer functions needed and record required information to ensure proper patient identification throughout the testing process.
* Employ appropriate culture techniques for all specimen types and utilize high quality harvesting techniques.
* Prepare high quality slides to allow for identification of each chromosome pair at the appropriate band level.
* Analyze chromosomes and determine the level of resolution.
* Prepare accurate karyotypes using the CytoVision Imaging System.
* Identify numerical and structural chromosome abnormalities.
* Prepare reports summarizing finds and utilizing proper ISCN nomenclature.
* Assist with medical technology students and other groups during laboratory training.
* Orient laboratory new employees to lab procedures
* Maintain adequate inventory of supplies, reagents and solutions.
* Perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment.
* Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Physical, Chemical, Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology from an accredited institution.
* General laboratory skills required.
* Prior lab experience in tissue culture and sterile technique preferred.
If a certified candidate (above) is not available, candidate will need to met the following criteria:
* Must be eligible to sit for the Cytogenetics certification exam given by the National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA) upon completion of one year of full-time employment in Cytogenetics.
* Must sit for and pass the Cytogenetics NCA certification exam before being considered for a transfer to a Cytogenetic Technologist position.