Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications - AAOA (closed)
Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications
Located in Reston, Virginia, the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy (AAOA) represents over 2,700 Board-certified otolaryngologists and other health care providers who devote part of their practice to the diagnosis and treatment of allergic and other related disorders. We benefit from a very stable membership base, have an annual budget of nearly $2M, and a total staff of 5. Because we are a small team, you will enjoy a broad scope of responsibilities.
In this newly created position of Marketing, Membership, and Communications Director, you will report to the Executive Director and work in partnership with her to lead all of our branding and membership communications activities. You will be expected to take significant ownership in order to free her to work on new strategic initiatives and to be externally focused.
Our Board has identified a need for stronger branding of our organization and its offerings, and we will look to you to develop and deliver the message. We want you to provide us with the strategies, innovation and leadership that will enable membership retention by creating and communicating our value proposition. In this role, you will support member needs by communicating targeted messages using our recently purchased interactive membership database. We will look to you to harness its communication potential. Your ideas will come to fruition, as our Executive Director is open to new and innovative ideas that support the mission of the organization.
All of our outreach and materials need to reflect the same look, and your input will be pivotal in our ability to do so. Our CME program is our primary revenue stream; it is responsible for 80% of our revenue. The cost savings of participating in this program as a member is the primary reason doctors join our association
As otolaryngologists, members have a unique expertise in the medical and surgical treatment of allergic, rhinologic, and related inflammatory and respiratory disorders.
The AAOA has a Foundation dedicated to research. The mission of the Foundation is to promote scientifically rigorous research that improves the quality of life for the allergic patient. Annually, it considers grant applications through three funding programs: CORE, Foundation Research Grants, and Resident Otolaryngology & Allergy Development (ROADs).
Our Expectations for Your First Year as the Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications
In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement membership outreach strategies and materials for retention of current members.
- Manage, track, and evaluate all membership acquisition and renewal activities, including new member acquisition and renewal communications.
- Develop and execute member surveys and polls, focus groups, and interviews to determine member needs and programs.
- Coordinate public information (blog posts, writing copy as needed, coordinating ideas and messages for email and web announcements and appeals).
- Respond to written and verbal requests for information from members and other constituents.
- Write and edit the newsletter and other website content.
- Actively participate in leadership meetings.
- Assist the executive director in budget development and track the financial progress of member acquisition, retention, and marketing campaigns.
Requirements and Attributes of the Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications
This position requires the following:
- B.A. degree.
- Five+ years’ experience as a Director/Manager or Assistant Manager of Membership development and marketing in the nonprofit sector, preferably with a professional society.
- Digital delivery system expertise.
- A results-based track record of implementing creative/innovative membership marketing campaigns.
- Experience with the latest membership management software and proficiency in its usage.
- Ability to travel several times a year.
Attributes of the successful Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following attributes:
Effective communicator: Your communication is clear and direct. You are effective at actively listening to others to understand their needs.
Strategic and creative: You think conceptually, are creative, and can identify and leverage marketing opportunities.
Collaborative: You communicate and coordinate effectively at every level. You share information, work cooperatively, seek out relevant information, decide on the appropriate steps, and achieve the desired results.
Service-driven: You are member-focused and committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- We are a small organization that is willing to mentor and train you as you progress in your career.
- Our Board is supportive of our staff.
- We have new offices that are conducive to creating the best work product.
- The Executive Director has been at AAOA for 17 years and has extensive institutional knowledge to share. This will create a great opportunity for you to significantly expand your managerial program experience.
To Apply for the Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications position:
Simply email a Word version of your resume and cover letter to Dorsey Davidge at email@example.com with “AAOA Director of Marketing, Membership, and Communications/2012-1491” in the subject line of the email.