Federal Nurse Manager (Operating Room) Opportunity in St. Louis, MO - 49 Days Paid Time Off Per Year! (closed)
The St. Louis VA Medical Center (John Cochran Division) is actively seeking an experienced Nurse Manager to provide leadership in the Operating Room (OR).
- Provides leadership in the application of the nursing process in the OR/PACU
- Maintains established standards of nursing practice and standards of care
- Initiates and participates in interdisciplinary efforts for the OR/PACU, Surgical Service, and the Medical Center
- Implements an educational plan to meet changing educational needs of the OR/PACU and P&D staff
- Develops staff to achieve exemplary standards of perioperative care and customer satisfaction
- Collaborates to participate in and utilize research processes and findings
- Develops and maintains a quality improvement program for the OR/PACU
- Collaborates with other disciplines to promote quality care in surgery and throughout the Medical Center
- Actively participates in professional liaison activities
- Assumes 24 hour accountability for staffing and patient care in OR/PACU
*Relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
- Education/Experience Requirements: 3+ years of true Operating room experience, including Cardiovascular experience strongly preferred; 3 + years of management experience in a large university/teaching setting strongly preferred. Full and unrestricted RN license, BLS
- Academic appointment: Affiliation with Wash. U. and St. Louis U….possible faculty appointments down the road. Teaching responsibility for student scrub technicians, and to a lesser degree, gatekeeper for PA and Anesthesiology training. Would also instruct new staff in OR (scrub techs and RNs)
- Routine Surgeries Performed: Orthopedics, neurosurgery, ENT, thoracic, genital urinary, vascular and general surgery
- Number of provider staff in the department: 14 RNs, 8 scrub techs. Collaborates with Chief of Surgery and Chief of Anesthesia on delivery of health care in the operating room
- Call Schedule: You will be required to assume ‘first’ and/or ‘second’ call assignments two-three times in two week period
- Office Hours: Days , 7:30 – 4 pm, M-F
- # of OR Beds: 9 OR suites
- Location of office: Private office in OR suite
- # Surgeries per week: Approximately 80-100 OR cases per week. Approximately 80 % of time will be administrative
VA is the largest employer of nurses in the Nation, with more than 61,000 RNs, APNs, LPNs/LVNs, and nursing assistants. Once you join a VA facility, you'll be immersed in a nursing experience unlike anything you've ever experienced before.
VA nurses are at the bedside and in outpatient clinics working with the entire patient care team to deliver quality care. They are also developing patient safety initiatives, conducting research to evaluate and improve care delivery, and taking on leadership roles to help guide the next generation of nurses.
For information about VA benefits, please access the following link: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp