Senior Network Engineer
An established and growing proprietary trading firm seeks to add a Senior Network Engineer to assist, monitor and progressively improve the existing IT infrastructure of a professional trading environment.
The ideal candidate is likely to have worked within the financial industry with a robust background in network architecture, maintenance and monitoring. The candidate will join an existing IT team which interacts with all IT functional areas (e.g. architecture, design, network engineering, Helpdesk/Desktop support, application development and support). The candidate will be someone who can troubleshoot technology related problems that might include multicast routing, datacenter design, troubleshooting intermittent packet loss, latency issues, trading system connectivity and equipment failure. The successful candidate must be highly self-motivated, excel at multitasking, and comfortable working in a demanding, state of the art trading environment.
- Day to day support of network and application environments.
- Proactively suggest enhancements to existing configurations, technologies or procedures.
- Work closely with all IT functional areas to design and implement operational requirements for new and existing IT systems.
- Troubleshoot intricate network and systems issues down to the bit level and up to the application layer.
- Provide critical thinking to complex problems in a 24/7, mission critical network environment.
- Process, monitor and prioritize trouble tickets.
- Automate any and all tasks that can be automated.
- Remote datacenter design support and management.
- Assist in hardware/software purchases.
- Ability to follow and enhance existing IT policies and procedures.
- Support other key initiatives as the business dictates.
- Thorough understanding of the TCP/IP suite.
- Extensive experience with multicast networks including design and troubleshooting (PIM, SM, DM, Anycast).
- Detailed knowledge of the OSI layers 1-4 and associated equipment.
- Experience with advanced network concepts and technologies such as QoS, CoS, IDS/IPS, VoIP, flow control, PFC, store-and-forward switching and cut-through switching.
- Knowledge of fiber transport installation, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Knowledge of DWDM and CWDM.
- Knowledge of switch architecture, ASICs and packet flow for current generation switches/routers.
- Knowledge of implementing and troubleshooting dynamic routing protocols such as EIGRP, BGP and OSPF.
- Experience with packet sniffing applications (Snort, TCPDump, Wireshark, Netmon, etc.).
- Experience performance tuning networking infrastructures.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (bash, Perl, PowerShell, VBScript) or programming languages (C++, C#, VB).
- Experience with bug/ticket tracking systems like JIRA a plus.
- Experience with 10gb Ethernet.
- Knowledge of Infiniband or 40/100g Ethernet a plus.
- B.S. C.S./MIS degree.
- 5+ years’ experience in network administration/engineering.
- Active or near completion of CCNA, CCNP, CCIE or similar IT certification a plus.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to interact with management, vendors and external parties and should be able to effectively communicate complex issues in a clear and concise manner. Must be able to thoroughly document implementations, modifications and removals.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, able to multi-task, able to work independently as well as a team player.
- Analytical and detail orientated.
- Must be willing to work some weekend shifts in support of maintenance and participate in on-call rotation. Must have experience in 24x7 environments.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.