Senior Business Systems Analyst
The purpose of the Senior Business Systems Analyst is to work closely with the business to understand their business requirements and to work with the IT stakeholders to ensure those needs are translated into fit-for-purpose solutions. The individual will provide effective function as "Subject Matter Expert" and assist in the development of our core insurance business systems, using comprehensive processes and methodologies to achieve quality delivery.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science/other business related discipline or Community College Diploma/equivalent.
• Business Systems Analyst and/or Project Management Certification will be an asset.
• 5-7 years relevant Senior Business Systems Analyst experience.
• Performed effectively in Senior Business Systems Analyst role for a minimum of 2 projects of high complexity.
• Experience in development and execution of all requirements management tasks at least for the last 2 years.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to effectively deal with business and IT stakeholders at all levels.
• Strong leadership/facilitation skills.
• Knowledge of all business requirements development.
• Ability to understand processes and methodologies and fully apply them.
• Experience in analysis tools and techniques i.e. Use Case diagrams, modeling process, modeling data, analyzing business data using class and object models, draw the process side of UML using an activity diagram and creating a data dictionary etc., at least for the last 2 years.
• Knowledge of MS Office tools and Visio.
• Knowledge of HP Mercury Quality Centre tools.
• Strong awareness and interest in technology.
• Surety and Home Warranty insurance experience.
• Property and Casualty insurance experience.
• Understanding of Change Management Principles.
• Knowledge of Project Management Methodologies and tools.
• Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle Methodologies
• Knowledge of Standard Software testing practices and procedures
Business Analysis & Consulting:
• Work with the Business and IT stakeholders to understand the business context of the Program or Project and desired future states. Provide consulting services to business partners on new initiatives (small to large of varying complexity).
• Lead high-level and detailed requirement phases identifying, validating for accuracy, tracking, escalating and/or resolving business systems issues. Prepare high-level and detailed business requirements documents for IT Projects, documenting functional and non-functional requirements.
• Execute planned requirement management activities while remaining flexible to changing requirements and project deadlines.
• Work side-by-side with business teams throughout the life of a project, understanding their needs, managing expectations, and develop proposals for small to medium projects ensuring the proposals for change have customer-centric focus. Assess, research, analyze and document sponsor/stakeholder needs in accordance with Project Life Cycle utilizing appropriate tools.
• Recommend business solutions that satisfy sponsor/stakeholder needs continually exploring and assessing options for value-add for clients.
• Assist Project Managers, Technical Leads/Senior Systems Analysts, Solutions Architects and others to translate business ideas and functional requirements into high-level design, low-level design and technical requirements for development projects including middleware integrations.
• Assist in the analysis, design, development, unit testing and maintenance of mission-critical business applications.
• Together with Project Manager, determine best mix of development, interfacing applications, third party vendor solutions to meet business requirements and project objectives.
• Coach business on how to avoid common requirements pitfalls.
• Ensure adequate end user documentation and training.
• Contribute to successful project completion within budget and on time by facilitating joint assessment of risks, assumptions and constraints and developing/recommending mitigation strategies.
Tools (including workflow) Analysis and Design:
• Identify and evaluate reuse opportunities within existing process flows defined in the workflow tool.
• Document components related to business rules that can and should be abstracted.
• Design high-level workflows and use cases.
• Define change management procedures for business rule changes.
• Define, establish and mature concepts and realities of the change process with impacted stakeholders. Identify impacts on business processes based on detailed solutions and strategies.
• Contribute to the continuous development of the business analysis function, promoting and enhancing the business analysis tools, techniques and approaches within the organization.
• Participate in quality assurance activities within IT.
• Leverage SAP industry standards and best practices
Planning & Testing:
• Define, organize and schedule requirements management activities in a way that is consistent with the organization’s culture and standards.
• Develop detailed plans and accurate estimates for completion of Requirements and Acceptance phases of projects
• Prepare for an effective implementation process guaranteeing user training, communication needs and organization changes are designed as core requirements.
• Define, in conjunction with business and solution team, training and implementation strategy. Assist and provide feedback on testing strategy and test case execution.
• Document and share Business Analyst lessons learned.
• Develop test plans and execute testing including leading the systems and acceptance testing by facilitating participation of appropriate staff in project completion.
Relationships & Communication:
• Effectively communicate and build rapport with team members, stakeholders and business partners using a variety of techniques and collaboration from initiation to close.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to business partners and senior management, selecting the appropriate approach based on the audience.
• Resolve conflicts/issues of medium complexity and escalate others as appropriate.
• Develop criteria for and participate in the evaluation of 3rd party vendors and software as well as due diligence exercises.
• Manage the detail aspects of day-to-day operations with 3rd party vendors.