Fund Tax Manager (closed)
Stable Financial Firm is seeking a Tax Manager for their Houston office. In this role, you will be responsible for leading the tax compliance functions for assigned funds and investment products. Tax compliance functions include but is not limited to income tax returns, excise tax returns, tax documentation for the fund auditors, tax calculations and disclosures in the financial statements, Section 19 notices, required distributions, monthly/quarterly distributions and all other tax reports required by federal, foreign, and state tax authorities. This position is responsible for directly supervising a working group of assistant managers and senior accountants and indirectly tax accountants.
Key Responsibilities / Duties:
- Review of internally or externally prepared federal, state, excise and other jurisdictional (including foreign) tax returns for mutual funds and other assigned investment products. Monitors all filings for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitors foreign tax reclaim processes and ensures needed filings and power of attorneys are completed and provided to applicable parties.
- Review of audit tax check lists that are prepared for the funds’ financial statement audits after each portfolio’s fiscal year has ended. Reviews the annual financial statements for proper tax disclosure.
- Review of analysis prepared on book/tax differences for impact on distributions and tax calculations including wash sale deferrals, straddles, foreign tax credits, passive foreign investment companies and others based on fiscal and excise period.
- Review tax information that is prepared for shareholders and ensures that required tax designations are made. This includes qualified dividend income, dividends received deductions, qualified interest income percentages, tax-exempt interest calculations, state taxable values, broker files, and the annual shareholder tax information letters.
- Monitors distributions to ensure compliance with IRS and SEC regulations including review of tax worksheets, estimated excise schedules, equalization calculations, and projections used for determining monthly dividend rates, quarterly dividend rates and annual distributions. Also, includes review of the-per-share distribution calculations and Section 19 calculations and notices.
- Champions and coordinates assigned projects.
- Responsible for developing, researching, updating, and maintaining internal controls.
- Coordinates the completion of RIC qualification tests: 90% income distribution, 90% gross income tests, and monthly IRS diversification test. Addresses complicated issues related to the qualification tests and ensures compliance tests are prepared accordingly and issues are timely addressed with portfolio managers.
- Reviews schedules for fund mergers and ownership changes – including but not limited to analysis of capital loss carry-overs, built in gains, and Section 381-384 limitations.
BA/BS in Accounting with Taxation Courses is required.
Designated CPA is Preferred.
Please send your most up to date resume to Charlie.Goodman@Matrixres.com