Mechanical Engineer with Extrusion & Tooling (closed)
My client is seeking a Mechanical/Tooling Engineer; candidate must have 5-10 years industry relevant experience. They're the leading producer of semi-fabricated specialty aluminum products, serving customers worldwide with highly-engineered solutions for aerospace and high-strength, general engineering, and custom automotive and industrial applications. The Company's North American facilities produce value-added sheet, plate, extrusions, rod, bar, tube and wire products, adhering to traditions of quality, innovation and service that have been key components of our culture since the Company was founded in 1946.
This is a corporate position. Position is open due to growth. Candidate must results-oriented, Customer-Focused, and a strategic thinker.
• Ownership of the corporate wide extrusion and drawing die process control system Maintaining and improving processes and systems.
• Track performance of plants to the process standards. Support manufacturing facilities in implementing and maintaining compliance to Tooling Process Control standards
• Leverage activities across plants and the division to drive continuous improvement in tooling management and tooling related processes.
• Acts in both leadership and active participant role on teams to achieve the goals.
• Identify opportunities from improvement with plants based on plant initiatives and strategic plans.
• Develop project charters with identified goals and planning to achieve the goals and manage the projects to successful completion
• Identify and benchmark industry trends relevant to tooling, leveraging within as appropriate
• Understand, develop and support plant and division wide tooling strategies to ensure future capabilities and competencies are developed to support the overall business plans
• Support facilities in troubleshooting
• Identify opportunities and needs within for predictive modeling (computer simulation), to reduce costs and improve performance.
• Interface with tooling suppliers to keep abreast of technologies and trends within the industry.
• Support and implement knowledge based management of tooling management systems
• Proven project management skills including cross functional activities. Multiple facility activities considered a plus.
• Manufacturing experience in middle to heavy industry, strongly preferred in metals manufacturing, particularly aluminum extrusion and drawing
• Experience in tooling manufacturing, tooling materials and designs, preferable within the aluminum extrusion or drawing die industry
• Proven experience in process standardization and process control implementation. Lean manufacturing experience considered a plus
• Problem solving capabilities, using methodical scientific approach (e.g. Six Sigma, Shainin)
• Experience and understanding of die design impact on process (productivity, quality, cost) and problem solving experience to resolve product issues attributable to toolingo Strong plus to have knowledge of extrusion or drawing process parameters
• Ability to effectively interface and manage at varied levels of an organization.
• Hands on orientation with the academic/scientific background to understand mechanism
• Travel is required
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering required