Business Intelligence Technical Lead (closed)
The accelerating maturation of our industry brings exciting opportunities to partner with federal and state governments, major lending institutions, and consumers as they redefine standards for lending, credit, and financial health.
To support our goals in this area, we are seeking a Business Intelligence Technical Lead for our San Diego office. The successful candidate will participate in the implementation and ongoing maintenance of Enterprise Data Warehouse and Cognos Business Intelligence applications to support multiple departments. This person will also act as principle liaison with BI business users’ departments, serve as a mentor to other BI team members, manage offshore teams work flow, and provide production support to existing BI implementations. The person selected for this role will be a strategic thinker who can make recommendations for system improvements and upgrades to meet the demands of a fast paced working environment.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work with business users to understand their business processes, gather and document requirements and translate them into functional and non-functional specifications for BI reports and applications.
- Work as part of the Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse team to define, design, implement and maintain BI solutions across all business functions using various ETL technologies.
- Help transform data and business knowledge into multidimensional cubes, reports and dashboards.
- Maintain and support Cognos application and systems.
- Work closely with Cognos user areas to assure that their needs are being met, train business users in established standards and procedures with respect to end user applications and production processes.
- Participate in the production software deployments, upgrades, capacity planning, backup strategies, software/hardware integration, troubleshooting and recommendations for the configuration of the Cognos application.
- Perform analysis of existing system and business processes for BI analytical and reporting requirements including development of data marts, reports and cubes.
- Support the roll-out of BI and assist all levels of users from expert analysts to senior executives; ensure user satisfaction, monitor usage and provide training or advice as needed.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to identify system deficiencies, analyze problems and solutions to conclude and implement corrective action.
- Collaborate with BI team and business owners to test and verify BI solutions to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Write and maintain system and user documentation
- Document system problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Assess existing and available data warehousing technologies and methods to ensure our Data Warehouse/BI Architecture meets the needs of the business and allows for business growth. Provide recommendations on evolution of the architecture.
- Manages projects of large BI implementations including all phases, analysis, and specification design from business requirements, testing, implementation and communication.
Required skills, education, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 6 to 10 years of related experience in Cognos, SQL Server, Netezza, or other databases, business analysis with demonstrated analytical, problem solving, partnership and leadership skills.
- Experience in report development as well as optimization and admin activities of Cognos.
- Experience in Cognos 10, ReportNet, Powerplay, Analysis Studio, Planning and Contributor, SQL & ETL methodologies, any ETL tool like Datastage, Informatica , and SSIS.
- Skilled in database management and designing Star Schema’s.
- Proficient in creating Dashboards and Scorecards.
- Experience in applying BI SDLC methodology.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word.
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Detail oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills to meet critical deadlines
- Has ability to perform/drive resolution of problems on areas within his/her accountability.
- Solid customer service skills and a consultative approach to dealing with internal customers.
- Able to communicate broad and specific concepts to team and to internal clients.