Unix System Administrator (closed)
Apply here: http://bit.ly/15767BR2
Provides Unix, Linux, and VMware system administration as a member of the infrastructure services team responsible for Yale University’s virtualization, web, email and other critical Unix, Linux servers in a dynamic, 24/7/365 production environment. The technical environment at Yale includes 200+ servers running VMware, Redhat Linux, Apache, JBoss, Drupal, Wordpress, MySQL, F5, Nagios/Opsview, Cfengine and Jenkins, with a focus on automation, scalability, high availability, and architecture.
1. Provides technical expertise in resolving user system deficiencies and determines appropriate action.
2. Provides system services and analyze system performance for stakeholders and intended end users. Performs all activities necessary to activate a new operating system or new release of an existing system, including analysis, design, implementation, and related documentation. Analyzes systems performance and modifies programs to increase the efficiency of the operation. Reinstates integrity of system as quickly as possible following an outage in order to minimize item and data loss.
3. Recommends and authorizes system upgrades and software installations.
4. Designs, develops and implements new system tools.
5. Analyzes execution time of commonly used instruction to identify and replaces those that are inefficient or slow to operation.
6. Analyzes, evaluates and takes steps to circumvent problems and restores systems to operating condition.
7. Contributes in the determination of specifications and determines the combination of options needed to tailor an operating system to meet the business needs.
8. Conducts training and user education.
9. Researches new technologies, processes, and methodologies.
Required Education and Experience
Four years of experience as a systems programmer with knowledge of one or more high level languages, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Extensive experience with UNIX, Linux operating systems and utilities, tools and applications used to install, configure, document, and maintain systems and applications.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Experience in a production environment with at least two of the following automated install, automated build and deployment, automated configuration management, enterprise monitoring systems, server virtualization, load balancing, web servers, Java application servers.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent communication skills in order to collaborate as a knowledge leader in the specification, design, and deployment support of UNIX infrastructure. Demonstrated ability to develop and document complex procedures.Required Skill/Ability 4: Experience supporting UNIX web, email or application servers.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Demonstrated experience with administrative scripting languages.Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: 1. Bachelor's degree plus four years experience supporting production UNIX, Linux systems in a 24/7/365 environment.
Do you meet the posted requirements? Apply here: http://bit.ly/15767BR2