Senior Electrical Engineer
M. USMAN QURAISHI, PE
901 Harbour Shore Drive, Knoxville, TN 37934, (865) 675-5512(H), (865) 789-5777(c),
ELECTRICAL/I&C/ LICENSING ENGINEER
Highly effective engineering professional with 38 plus years of experience in design engineering, procedure development, startup, and operation of nuclear (BWR & PWR) (26 years), fossil (6 years), LNG plant (2 years), and electrical substations (4 years). Skill and experience acquired in the following areas:
- Developed conceptual designs for electrical distribution & protection system for Nuclear/Fossil Plants.
- Ensured compliance with industry standards IEEE, ANSI, NEC, NEMA, ISA, Federal and NRC Regs.
- Performed short-circuit, load flow, voltage drop, arc flash (IEEE1584) studies using SKM (ETAP).
- Designed relaying and metering schemes for monitoring and protection of high and medium voltage.
- Designed system grounding in Electrical Power Systems for power plants, and substations.
- Designed Safeguard & Security System for NPP such as Portable DG per Section B5B of ICM order EA-02-026 and 10CFR50.54 (hh), UPS, Parameter Intrusion Detection, and Access Control Systems.
- Qualified and performed Equivalency Evaluations, Safety Class, Apparent and Root Cause Evaluation of Condition Reports/PER, Maintenance’s Rule Functional Failure Determinations, and DCP.
- Prepared BOM for several systems and performed Equiv. Evals. for SR equipment and spare parts.
- Prepared DCPs to upgrade SSCs for the license extension of operating nuclear power plants.
- Performed equipment error analysis, uncertainty and scaling calculations (ISA-S67.04).
- Evaluated PERs/CRs and provided Corrective Actions to resolve condition adverse to quality.
- Developed and revised Electrical and I&C Maintenance, Operation, Startup, and Test procedures.
- Qualified and performed 10CFR 50.59 Safety Screening/Evaluation per 50.59 Regulation.
- Performed reportability determination and processing LERs per 10CFR50.72, 73 & 9.
- Strong leadership, good communication, problem solving and team work skill.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Bechtel Power) Watts Bar 2 Jul 08 to Present
Supervising electrical group for WBN2 Construction Completion Project. Managerial responsibilities included planning; organizing, promoting a safety conscious work environment, maintaining ethical behavior, empowering, motivating, problem solving and decision making. Technical responsibilities included directing document scoping, preparing EDCR & DCN packages that contain Tech. Evals, DRA/DCA, ICRDs, MEL, ABSCE boundary, MRs, 50.59 screening, and DVR. Tools used are BSL, MAXIMO, WITEL, Auto-CAD, INPO OE, EPIX, and MS Office 07. Designed, procured, installed, and tested a safeguard 2MW Portable DG per Section B5B of ICM order EA-02-026 and 10CFR50.54 (hh).
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Absolute) McGuire Plants April 07 to May 30 08
Worked on the replacement of aging 7300 Plant Control System (PCS) with the Westinghouse Distributed Control System (DCS); specially, the Emerson Ovation platform. Responsible for providing preferred battery backed 120 VAC power source (UPS) to DCS Network equipment. Calculated total DCS demand load; sized UPS, battery, and power cables. Breaker and fuse coordination using CAPTOR/SKM program. Performed FMEA, 50.59 AD/Screening, and Appendix ‘R’ screening. Designed single line diagram. Wrote specification and procured UPS. Assembled design change package.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Absolute) St. Lucie Plants Oct 06 to Mar 31 07
Worked on CRNs modifying penetration modules/cables, CCW Pumps logic circuits, Appendix R cables analysis and replacing absolute Aghastat relays. CRNs require 50.59 Applicability Determination, Fire Protection, EQ, and Seismic Reviews.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL/ I&C ENGINEER (S&L) Palo Verdi Plants Sept 05 to Oct 06
Worked on APS CRDR/CRAI Reduction Project. Qualified for 50.59 Applicability, OOT, and PDMS Programs. Performed engineering evaluation and provided resolution of deficiencies and non-conforming conditions. Prepared EDCs, PCPs, and WOs. Sized and selected T.O.L. and calculated Motor Damage Curve for replaced MOV D.C. motors per IEEE 741-1997.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Bechtel Nevada) DOE - NTS Jul 5, 04 - Sept 6, 05
Worked at Nevada Test Site on DOE & DOD Projects. Responsible for upgrading DAF Substation (6-15), Electrical Distribution Systems, Uninterrupted Power System, Emergency Diesel Generator System, Grounding System, and Fire Protection System at Critical Experiment, Device Assembly, CP9, and CP72 Facilities. Performed short circuit, voltage drop, arc flash protection, heat load, and power/lighting panel loading calculations. Knowledge regarding computer software SKM (similar to ETAP), Excel, MathCAD, and NEC was required. Designed S/L, Elementary, and Wiring Diagrams. Wrote specs for xfmrs, swgrs, MCCs, and UPS units.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER D.C. Cook (AEP) Nov 3, 03 to Dec 31, 03
Worked for EFIN (electrical fix-it-now) to support Maintenance and Operations during Unit 1 UC19 refueling outage.
SYSTEM ENGINEER (Proto-Power/Enercon) Davis Besse/Diablo Canyon Sept., 02 to Sept., 03
Worked for Design Engineering/Plant Engineering on Condition Report Reduction and Corrective Action Program. Worked for Design Engineering (NCFE) at DCPP developing design change packages.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER D.C. Cook Jan, 99 to Sept. 02
Worked as Electrical/I&C Engineer for restart and license extension of D.C. Cook Nuclear Power Plants. Honored and proud to receive Silver Star Award that was given individually and as a group (ENPI) by AEP senior management for Unit 2-restart effort.
SENIOR I&C ENGINEER Indian Point 3 Aug , 98 to Dec 98
Performed loop uncertainty calculation for RCS Overpressure Protection System in response to NRC revision to Appendix G Curve.
LICENSING/CONFIGURATION MGMT ENGINEER Millstone (NU) 1996 to 1998
Worked as a Licensing Engineer to support Millstone Unit 2 restart. Responsibilities included performing review of previous docketed correspondence to identify and validate implementation of commitments for the 50.54(f) project. Performed Reportability Determinations. Prepared correspondence including Licensing Event Reports (LER) in accordance with 10CFR50.72, 10CFR50.73 and 10CFR50.9 and Notice of Violations (NOV). Reviewed closure packages developed and validated for significant items (SIL) identified by the NRC, prior to submittal to the NRC reviewers. Issues identified for review and closure included LERs, NOVs, URIs IFIs and various corrective action reports. Also, worked on Configuration Management Plan, providing inputs to response to NRC’s 50.54(f) letters regarding conditions related to Licensing Bases and Design Bases issues.
PRINCIPAL ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Stone & Webster) Salem (PSE&G) 1995 to 1996
Responsible for preparation of Design Change Packages for replacements of Emergency Diesel Generator components in the Starting Air and Turbo Boost Systems.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Raytheon) Watts Bar (TVA) 1994 to 1995
Staff augmented with TVA. Reviewed design change packages for cable damages, non-compliance with separation criteria (RG1.75.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (FP&L) St. Lucie Nuclear Plants 1990 to 1993
Responsible for engineering support to Plant Operation and Engineering Modification Groups, especially during plants' refueling outages. During outages, performed duties of Shift Coordinator, making events confirm to schedule by coordinating the action of all parts of outage groups. Normal duties included preparation of design change packages. Felt proud to be a member of FPL Group that won Japan’s highest management award - Deming Award in 1990 and made world record of continuous run of 502 days.
PRINCIPAL ELECTRICAL/I&C ENGINEER (Ebasco) Watts Bar/ Browns Ferry 1987 to 1990
Worked at Watts Bar (PWR) of TVA. Responsible for the replacement of hard-wired annunciation system with the latest state of the art computer based annunciation system.
Worked on Browns Ferry Plants (BWR) as a system lead engineer towards "Configuration Management System Program" and system’s readiness for "System Return to Service". Duties included managing and scheduling engineers and preparing System’s Return to Service/Operation packages. TVA awarded Ebasco with bonus for completing the project on time.
Worked as a lead engineer of Cable Ampacity Support Group, performing cable ampacity calculations (COMA Sheets) to determine and identify the cables with short life due to the excessive use of flamemastic on cable trays. Responsible for managing and scheduling the task along with supervising a crew of ten engineers and designers.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Gilbert Common) Browns Ferry/Peach Bottom 1986 to 1987
Staff augmented with TVA in Electrical Engineering Branch of Division of Nuclear Engineering at "Daily Support" group. One of the major CAQs being executed was the problem due to the effect of flamemastic coating thickness, raceway covers and bottoms on cable ampacity. Duties included preparing DCNs and bid packages, scoping the project with AE firms, and evaluating and awarding the contracts. At Peach Bottom Plants of PECO, responsible for responding to IE Bulletins, such as W-2 switch problem.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER Comanche Peak (TU) 1983 to 1986
Provided engineering and construction support to the plants. Provided short-circuit, load flow, and impedance studies to generate specifications for protection devices, switchgears, transformers and power distribution.
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL ENGINEER GE Nuclear Plants 1982 to 1983
Contracted to work at General Electric Company, San Jose, CA on NSS Systems of Grand Gulf, Clinton and CNV Nuclear Power Plants (BWR).
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Bechtel/Encon) Colstrip (Montana Power) 1981 to 1982
Responsible for Main Generator Protection System, Emergency Diesel Generator, 500KV Breaker Control Schematics, and Circuit Breakers Synchronous Control.
SITE ELECTRICAL PROJECT ENGINEER (Envirotech Corp.) Paradise (TVA) 1981 to 1981
Worked on two units of TVA Paradise Steam Power Plant (Fossil) at Drakesbaro, KY. Responsible for installation of 6.9 kV substations for FGDS Scrubber/Precipitator. Performed load studies, short circuit calculations, relay selection and set point calculation for coordination.
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Burns & McDonell) Laramie River 1979 to 1981
Responsible for complete automation by utilizing PLC and designing I &C loop diagrams for Lime Handling System, Precipitator System and Coal Handling System from system descriptions and logic diagrams. Knowledge of Forney PLC programming, ladder diagrams design was required.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Sargent & Lundy/Pollak & Skan) Com Edison of Illinois 1978 to 1979
Worked for the design of Byron and Braidwood Nuclear Plants (PWR) and LaSalle County Nuclear Plants (BWR) of Commonwealth Edison of Illinois.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Bechtel) Davis-Besse, Hatch, Farley 1974 to 1978
Davis-Besse: Responsible for Plant Security System. Duties included design of UPS System.
Hatch: Responsible for several BOP and NSS Systems.
Farley: Responsible for Switchgears and MCCs circuit logic.
LNG Plants at Arzew, Algeria: Responsible for inspection and testing of major electrical equipment such as transformers, high voltage Switchgear, and MCCs. The task was completed within the schedule, which brought one million-dollar bonus to Bechtel.
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER Detroit Edison Substations 1971 to 1974
Responsible for Coal Handling System, Coal Handling Board, Pulverized Coal-Firing System, Furnace Draft System, Ash Conveyor System, and Ash Sluice Water System.
- MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT-USF, Tampa, Florida.
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING-U of M, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER - registered in the State of Maryland.
- PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER - registered in the State of Florida.
- Enhanced 10 CFR 50.59 Training Course by LeBlond & Associates at D.C. Cook Plant, (AEP)
- Root Cause & Error Reduction Course by Performance Improvement International Corp. (AEP)
- Nuclear Plant Licensing Course by Certec Corporation at Millstone Plant (N.E. Utility)
- Equipment Environmental Qualification Training - Florida Power & Light, Juno Beach, Florida.
- UPS System Design Training - Florida Power & Light, Juno Beach, Florida.
- Problem Identification and Correction Course - Florida Power & Light, Juno Beach, Florida.
- Electric Utility System & Practices - General Electric Company and Bechtel, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Electrical Power System Design for Power Plants - Bechtel, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Relay Coordination Courses, Level I & II - Multi-Amp Institute, Dallas, Texas.